Places in Dynamic Web Report

I am using Gramps 5.1.5 on Kubuntu 22.10.
I haven’t checked my reports recently due to the size, so I don’t know how long this has been the case, but I did look more carefully at the Dynamic Web Report I generated today (Home - Crider - McDowell Family Tree) and realized there are serious problems with places. The obvious problem is that maps are blank (I select OpenStreetMap). But there are many other problems. On many place pages, the enclosed by section is wrong, and if the link for an enclosed by place is followed, it may go to the wrong page. I also found examples where the page title did not match the information given. But even worse is that on pages for individuals, the places for events are frequently wrong. For example, for one of my grandfathers (Glen Allen McDowell), the only event that had the right place was his burial, and for my father (Joseph Ervin Crider), the only events with the right place were his birth and burial. All other events with places were incorrect.
Any idea what is going on?

I had a similar problem with my Dynamic Web report, where media links in citations and sources were going to the wrong file. I was able to fix it by clearing my browser cache. Then the links were correct. That might not be your problem though.

1 Like

Thanks. That does appear to be the problem with the links. But the maps are still blank.

There was an earlier report of the same scenario with the Narrative Web.

The same mapping upgrade may be causing your problem. I am not as familiar with the Dynamic web so not sure where its mapping code is located.

I’ve made the patch to the Narrative Web Report, but I haven’t found the corresponding code in the Dynamic Web Report. I’ll do some more research.

Just to to cover the basics, do the pins you missing from the blank maps in Narrated Web Site pages actually show in Gramps’ Geography view? Are the map tiles missing too in the report?

(This checks whether you have plottable data to send to the reports. You probably know that only Places that have GPS coordinates will be plotted. And that GPS coordinates of enclosing places are irrelevant.)

If would be help if you cited a specifc person’s map too. There are too many possibilities.

As far as I’ve checked, the maps in the Narrated Web Site are working fine after I patched the code. However in the Dynamic Web Report, the pages that should have a map on them just have a large blank box instead of a map. I’ve looked at some of the code, but I haven’t found anything relevant yet.

I also have the same problem with a blank map box. I am on Windows. I have a partial solution that shows the map tiles:

In the file

..\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps51\plugins\DynamicWeb\templates\dwr_default\data\dwr_start.js

I changed these lines so they now use ‘legacy’ based on SNoiraud’s information in the Bugtracker

127 LoadJsFile('http://openlayers.org/en/latest/legacy/ol.js'); // changed 'build' to 'legacy' see Gramps bug 12680
128 LoadCssFile('http://openlayers.org/en/latest/legacy/ol.css'); // changed 'css' to 'legacy' see Gramps bug 12680

The map tiles for OpenStreetMaps now show in the map box. However I don’t see the markers in a map, so not fully solved yet.

I tried this and a couple of other combinations and I now get + and - icons in the upper left corner and an i icon in the lower right corner, but still no tiles or markers. I may spend some more time on it tomorrow.

To get the markers to work I have made this change to line 3604 of dwr.js:

replace:
var x_marker = parseInt(feature.values_.name.replace('OsmPopup', ''));
with:
var x_marker = 0;

Although it seems counter-intuitive this still displays the right type of marker in each location. I guess OSM must have made a change to os.js but I have not been able to find anything that works apart from setting the variable x_marker to 0. I would be interested to know if anyone has found a fuller solution.

I hope that answers the problem for everyone. Certainly all my maps now appear to be working correctly (along with the other changes in dwr_start.js already mentioned).

In some cases the markers were shown incorrectly for me (e.g. two birth places), so I made this change instead:
var x_marker = parseInt(feature.C.name.replace('OsmPopup', ''));

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.