Places export and private places

I’m trying to add some intermediate places usefull for researches purposes wich don’t have to be published.

So I’ve created a place structure like that:

As you can see I’ve set two intermediate places as private:

Private Place Type
No France Country
No Normandie Region
No Orne Departement
Yes Mortagne-au-Perche Borough (Arrondissement)
Yes L’Aigle Canton
No L’Aigle City

If I exports (with don’t export private records checked) a gedcom file containing events using this place structure, only L’Aigle (the city) is exported where I’d expected for L’Aigle, Orne, Normandie, France

1 RESI
2 TYPE Résidence de Bazierre, Louise Adèle
2 DATE 3 MAY 1884
2 PLAC L'Aigle
3 MAP
4 LATI N48.76216
4 LONG E0.62746

Is it a Gramps feature to not export non private part of the place structure if there is some private object between two non private?

Is there a way to do what I’m expecting for, i.e:

1 RESI
2 TYPE Résidence de Bazierre, Louise Adèle
2 DATE 3 MAY 1884
2 PLAC L'Aigle, Orne, Normandie, France
3 MAP
4 LATI N48.76216
4 LONG E0.62746

and not just L’Aigle or the full structure I don’t want to show L’Aigle, L’Aigle, Mortagne-au-Perche, Orne, Normandie, France ?

Thanks

The way the export Private filter works, is to make the private place appear to not exist in the db. So when the code attempts to assemble a hierarchy, it thinks that the enclosing place doesn’t exist. There is not any way to get the current code to ‘skip over’ missing (private) places to enclose with the larger non-private ones.

If we ever get the place enhancements features completed for future Gramps, there will be a way to set up a rule that doesn’t display a type of place. I think that this will do what you are looking for (to shorten place names by leaving out some of the intermediate structure which most people don’t care about).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.