Photos not displaying

I have Gramps 4.2.8 running on Linux Mint 19.1

I stopped using Gramps for months and may have upgraded my Linux Mint during that time. I did have a lot of photos which Gramps displayed as thumbnails in various views such as the Charts view. Now I just get a red cross displayed instead of the thumbnail.

I do not know how Gramps finds photos for displaying. I can see there are two directories called .gramps/thumb/large and .gramps/thumb/normal The large directory has png files in it. The normall directory is empty.

If you can help restore the thumbnails for me I would be very grateful. Steve

It sounds like your base path for relative media paths has changed or
that you have moved where the photos are located. Check the base path
in Preferences. Also, check the Media view and check the paths to the
photos.

Allen

Hi Allen,

thanks! There was nothing at all in the field for the base path. Also in the Media view the paths are all: /home/steve/Desktop/gramps/media/name-of-photo.extension . However there is no media directory in my .gramps directory. Runnint the ls command on the .gramps directory gives:

drwxr-xr-x 2 steve steve 4096 Aug 24 2019 env
drwxr-xr-x 3 steve steve 4096 Aug 27 2019 gramps42
drwxr-xr-x 6 steve steve 4096 Aug 11 10:53 grampsdb
drwxr-xr-x 3 steve steve 4096 Aug 24 2019 maps
-rw-r–r-- 1 steve steve 786 Sep 23 15:23 recent-files-gramps.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 steve steve 11921 Sep 10 22:13 report_options.xml
drwxr-xr-x 2 steve steve 4096 Aug 24 2019 temp
drwxr-xr-x 4 steve steve 4096 Aug 24 2019 thumb

I am still unsure of the best approach to solving the problem and would be grateful for some pointers.

Steve

it looks like Gramps is expecting to find the media files in a directory on your Desktop called “gramps”, which has a subdirectory call “media”. Perhaps in your Mint upgrade that directory was moved or deleted. You might pick 1 of the media files and search everywhere for it,
try ‘find / -name “name-of-photo.extension” -print >& output.txt’

If you’ve found where the photos are located, you can use
Tools->Utilities->Media Manager… to replace substrings in the paths
and to convert from absolute to relative paths if you wish.

I really appreciate all your help. I used the find command and it became clear that I must have moved the directory which gramps was looking for into another directory probably while trying to tidy up my computer. I have now moved it back out and all my photos have reappeared on gramps again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.