Photos and localization

Hello,

You all know the possibility of associating a face on a part of a photo in the media with an individual, but would you know a way to geolocate it (we can hack the exif, of course)?

I came across this tweet [fr] this morning and I was wondering how Gramps could help me on this one:

The best of course would be to be able in geography to display these photos on the map as seen in the images of the tweet.

Do you have ideas or have seen plugins that allow this?

The easiest way would be to add the media to a place and then enhance the geography views.

We already have a gramplet that uses gexiv2 to read image metadata. It is an optional dependency.

What I was thinking of was quite the opposite: associate a place with an image rather than an image with a place

That seems backwards. A still image could only show one place but there might be many images of any given place.

And you might also want to associate it with an Event &/or People.

There are tools out there that do that, but not for Gramps…

Everyone working with images should use a real DAM solution for there high res images to add metadata (exif, xmp)…

There are multiple open source and free alternatives that works on all three platforms…
Digikam, Darktable, shotwell (Linux), irfanview (Windows)…
Here is a list of 5 for Linux…

If you dont want to take control of your assets with a DAM tool, ExifTool will do it for you, and you can find GUI’s for ExifTool…

piexif are a python tool for manipulating exif data:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.