Out of Box Developer Experence

Hello I’m starting with trying to set up a local instance of the gramps web API from source following the documentation provided.

Some questions I have is:

What is the ideal database set up and provisioning for local development?
-The docs reference a “Gramps example database” but there’s no links to where to find it (should probably have set up instructions (maybe a separate doc?) which is something I can do if I can find the database).

What is the right way to auth ones self on a local instance so I don’t get a “Missing JWT” error when I try to hit any API?

There are also 3 tests failing out of the box at the moment when you get to the pytest step, that I have not dug into yet.

Thanks

Hi,

sorry, I haven’t set up notifications for this board properly, so I missed your post.

The docs reference a “Gramps example database” but there’s no links to where to find it (should probably have set up instructions (maybe a separate doc?) which is something I can do if I can find the database).

Could be at /usr/share/doc/gramps/example/gramps/example.gramps or in Gramps’ Github repo, look for example.gramps.

What is the right way to auth ones self on a local instance so I don’t get a “Missing JWT” error when I try to hit any API?

Does “Add users” on Development setup - Gramps Web and Manual queries - Gramps Web help?

There are also 3 tests failing out of the box at the moment when you get to the pytest step, that I have not dug into yet.

Please share them.

HI David:

Except for determining a recommended dev database sandbox I’ve fixed the tests and added some instructions to the docs for authing and verifying the running instance. I can commit my documentation updates to that repo, but for tests, I still haven’t solved the pre-commit issues I’ve mentioned here.

If you get a chance set up a new venv and see if you can replicate it. I’ll probably figure it our eventually but being new to this it’ll take me a bit when I have time to look at it.

Thanks