Many to many (sources for role)

GRAMPS: AIO64-5.1.6-1
Win10

My mind has frozen solid in trying to come up with a solution.
When a couple marries I will make a Marriage Event
To this event I will add all items pertaining this marriage.
Sometimes it will add up to 10 or even more items.
Like excerpts of birthcertificates of both parties
Deaths of any parent already deceased (most often containing the names of their respective parents)
Announcement of marriage (often double)
Army records of the groom
ETC etc.
So all the additions could go under the source citations of ONE marriage event. Since they all belong to this one event it seemed like the most probable place to add them.
But I ran into trouble when assigning this marriage event to a secondary person. Like connecting the father of the groom to the marriage event. But by only attaching the father (giving him the role of father of the groom for instance) he will also be connected to ALL other sources mentioned under the marriage. And if I want to work out to which source(s) he exactly belongs I would have to open up and read all the citations.
Now I could add a marriage event for every source, but that would be useless as well.
So here I am, frozen brain and all. Thinking there must be a seriously simple solution, but can’t come up with one.

In Gramps 5.2 there will be added Source/Citations for events.

In addition to the S/C that get attached to the event itself and shared with anyone else who share the event there will now be a S/C for individual people attached to their role. Now, Individuals can have their own specific citations. Unfortunately, this does not exist in 5.1.

Gramps5.2 Source-Citations

We all have our own processes for sure, but what I can’t understand is why you would want so many things included with the wedding event. Most of what you listed should be with the individuals which in turn is linked via the wedding event. Yes, I can see putting quests or witnesses there, but why a Baptism? The parents are also linked via the wedding and through bride or groom. Is there some special report or something that needs all these items?
Just trying to understand what the end result is.

It sounds like there are many documents required in order to get married. You could treat each distinct document as a separate source, and cite it for the event that it actually represents – for example, cite the army records for a military service event, but don’t cite them for the marriage event.

Hi dave,
Untill quite recently getting married was quite a process. Which took 15 days at the minimum and required various documents to be handed over. All those documents (I have found marriages with over 20 sheets added) were legally attached to the marriage act. This only recently changed with the computerization of the marriage-system. So from 1812 (Introduction of the legal system) untill around 2000 one SHOULD find all these additions and add them appropriately.

When I cite them separately (Which I tried to do) they get lost to the original event (These documents belong to the marriage event. But the matter seems to be resolved with the coming of 5.2. I’ll be waiting for that then.

Dave,
Do you know if there is a projected release date for 5.2?

Not sure when 5.2 will be released. It is in beta testing. I know there are fixes still to be merged.

But if you want to test it the latest AIO release is here.

Afraid that beta AIO link has expired. The AIO test build links were only live for about a week each.

Yeah so I found out when clicking that link. 404.

Sorry, never confirmed that it was still working.

I should have time to merge the outstanding issues this week. Then I’ll probably create a release candidate and give the translators a chance to submit final translations.

The AIO builds that are not part of a release have an expiry date of 7 days.

1 Like

You might try to separate the direct sources, the marriage certificate, from the other documents collected in preparation for that marriage.

For this you could put the citation of the marriage certificate in the citations of the event and for all the other documents, put their citation in an attribute of this event which you could call Additional documents.

You can even have several like two, one for the additional documents of each spouse. And since these documents only concern the bride and groom, you can add these attributes in the references to the event of this marriage for their the Family record that includes it.

This will prevent, when sharing the event with other objects such as witnesses or the parents of the bride and groom Person records, these attributes carrying information that do not concern them from “polluting” them.

And it’s available now in 5.1

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.