Is it intentional that the place pointer in Geography view is different based on what you choose to view?

The place pointer look different based on what you select that it should display:

If you select to show all known places for one person or one family, they look like this:

But if you have it set to all known places view, and either show the one selected place, or all places, it looks like this:

Is it intentional that they are different?
Gramps 5.2

(btw, didnt know what category to choose here)

The different view modes have different functions for Pin representations.

The 1st view uses different shapes for different Event types: Birth, Death, Marriage, red pin and green pin.

The 2nd map allows “Configure” of Pin bubble colors for different Place types.

After little more testing, in first view, there seem to be this symbol for both marriage and birth:
That seem more like a Magnifying glass than anything else? What stuff is supposed to be red pin for example?

I didnt know that was a feature. Any reason the standard pin shape couldnt be the same between the maps, just change its colour? To me it looks kind of weird for them to be different. Is there a technical reason like you cant change the colour of the one pin to custom colour?

btw, off topic: To take advantage of that feature I would actually have to figure out what type to select on my places, as I dont feel the standard types in gramps fit. For example, is address an building, number, or street? is company a building? School or hospital that has multiple buildings (Campus)?

Another question, on the first maps, the pin seem to be different sizes based on how many events are at that place. But if all places have one event while one have two, the size difference is massive, like 4x the size, even if its just 1 vs 2 events on the location. Isnt that a little weird?

Red pins are for non free map providers (google, …)
Green pins are for free map providers
Red or green pins mean that you have multiple types of events for that place.

Ah, so something totally different then.

I dont quite get what you mean by this?

A snapshot can explain this:

This is discussed in other threads.

Swapping out pin shapes:

Some Geography items that missed the cut for 5.2

1 Like

Well, there will be a green pin if there is just one event too?

So it IS magnifying glass, yes, I think they should get new icons that looks less like magnifying glass. Those icons are better.
But it would be better if the “normal” pin you could select more colours so that it can be used on the all places map too. My opinion is that the pin that is currently used on the all places map, looks more like a placeholder than anything else to me.

Related to this, it seems like size should depend on the number of events like it does. But it seems like if its no place with more than 2 events on them on the map, 1 event gets minimum size and 2 event one get maximum size.
Shouldnt it instead be much smaller difference between them? Make the largest one half the size or the smallest one twice the size and it would make more sense to me.

I made a comment on this 12497, based on what have been mentioned here.

And created this one:
0013241: [Geography view] Pin size difference between places with different number of events too large when there is only 1-2 events.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.