Input of data via Graph View

My main data entry point for Gramps is using the Graph View which allows good visualisation of the immediate family.

Scenario: I am adding Census Info using Forms notice there are a couple of extra children in the census I have not got in the tree. So I can either right click on the marriage event and select Add Child or right click and select Edit and Children either scenario allows me to create a child/children and their birth event(s) (approx date of birth). However neither method puts birth Events into the Parents Events Lists.

Could someone explain why this next step does not occur and is a fix likely or possible.

I am not at this stage concerned about the proof of birth/sources/citations etc. that would come separately later.

Phil
GRAMPS: 5.1.6
Python: 3.10.12 (main, Nov 20 2023, 15:14:05) [G…
BSDDB: 6.2.9 (5, 3, 28)
sqlite: 3.37.2 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
Distribution: 6.2.0-39-generic

Why do you want to do this? birth events are person events ans not family events.

Hi Serge

Firstly I am sure a lot of women would argue that the birth of a child
is an event in their lives, “as it is a wise man who knows his father”
then maybe a ?.
It is the way I do it, and it was just a question of the logic and
how/why it works the way it does.
I am not unduly concerned either way as I have a work round.
Phil

The Roles don’t have nearly as big of an influence as outlined below. Consider it a 1st draft for wiki addition.
You can use the Timeline Quick View addon instead.
The Events gramplet list is limited to any Family event where the Person is the focus of the Event. i.e., where they hold a Primary or Family event role.

The Timeline Quick View lists any event where they participate in any role (plus: birth and death of immediate family members, marriages of parents).

Examples (with Event Gramplet in bottom split bar, Timeline (a Person category quick view) in Quick View gramplet on the right split bar):

Pedigree chart of the stepson of US 1st President George Washington

Life Line chart of the wife of US 1st President George Washington

You can share the birth event with the parents. You can drag-n-drop from the child’s record into the parent’s record directly or utilize the clipboard. In both cases remember to set the parent’s Role in the event. The child retains the Primary role.

This is not an automatic function. I myself do not share this type of event. Other users do.

The Form gramplet will handle this if you have a form set up for the birth event/document.

You can still do that. You drag the birth event into the mother’s events list.
Personally, I don’t want it to be automatic.

Thanks Brian I use the Events Gramplet quite a lot, Timeline not so much
Perhaps if I explain my system better you might understand why I asked
the question.
Please bear in mind that the vast majority of the people I have have on
the database are born, married, died in England or Wales
So take a birth, on the birth certificate there will be the child’s name
thus creating an event for that person, there will be the mothers name
which creates an event for that person, there will be the fathers name
(hopefully) creating another event and finally there will be an
informants name usually a parent or family member thus creating another
event for another person.
So say I have the full certificate then the date of birth will go
against the event and the date of registration will go into the Citation
Date.
If I do not have the cert but only the Registration from the publicly
available index’s, then the birth registration date (citation date) will
be in the form “bet 01 Apr 1950 and 30 Jun 1950” i.e. by Quarter however
the birth date will be “bet 20 Feb 1950 and 30 Jun 1950” because the
registration can occur up to 40 days after the event.
Please note I am not asking for a fix or change just trying to better
understand the logic behind how Gramps works to get best use of an
excellent and flexible system
Phil

You might also want to explore Chris Horn’s experimental Card View addon view modes. It also has a Timeline column of cards in some categories.

If you are entering a large number of entries from a particular source that cites a consistent organization of multiple fields, you might want to used the the Forms addon. Then you can create a form that will show all the fields simultaneously… which speeds up both data entry and validation.

Brian
Will give Cardview a look it seems quite interesting I already do use
Forms that is part of my work round

Thanks for all your time
Phil

1 Like

I neither would like it to be in the family nor for it to be automatic. However, I also want these births to be represented on the mother’s record. So I created a birth event for the child that I shared with the people present in the act, the father, the witnesses, etc. And I created another Medical Information type event for the mother indicating the delivery of this child.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.