How to set Private record for multiple people

Hi,
In AIO64-5.1.5-1, in Win10. in People, is there any possibility to set as Private record, more than one people at once. In other words, is it possible to select multiple People and assign their record as private instead of having to open them individually? I’ve seen the Set Privacy tool, which does seem to have this option.
Thank you.

1 Like

Are you suggesting a workflow of manually selecting them in the People view and using that selection in the Set Privacy Tool?

Yes, but only indirectly. You can directly use the Edit → Tag → New Tag. (I reserve the tag name “filter” for this repeated use purpose.) All the selected People will be tagged with the new tag. Then you create a people custom filter for that Tag. Finally, use that Filter with the Set Privacy Tool.

Using tags for filters is often useful.

So once you create the Custom Filter, you’ll want keep that filter for future use.

To clear this tag from the People, use the “Add/Remove Tag Tool” and Remove it. Then you can just add a new “filter” tag to a selection again and re-use the Custom Filter.

Note: adding Tags in the view can be painfully slow. Particularly, if the view is already filtered. That is because the view refreshes after object is changed when using the Edit menu. Is isn’t the Tagging that slows things, it is the excessive number of view refreshes.

So if you can use a filter to tag (or set privacy) the majority of the people with a tool, do so. Use the edit menu tagging method only for the exceptions.

1 Like

Alternately, you can write Script for the SuperTool Add-on that will do any manipulation to a selection of objects.

It is a risky power tool … but it is fast!

Hi,
I am very familiar with the Tags, love them. So you are saying I cannot go in People view, select many manually or after applying a Tag an then set the Private record (padlock) feature?
In other words, the Set Privacy Tool only works when applying Tags and filter as you nicely suggested?

Right. Currently, there isn’t a ‘Selected objects’ filter rule. And the Set Privacy Tool only allows Filters or “All” for its control.

It was a simple script. It only really needs 1 line in statements. But the extras parts of the Script ensure that only “Selected objects” records will be affected, not “All objects” … which would be a disaster. And the “Expressions to display” means the Results section will have clickable rows that show both the original value and the value after running.

After installing the SuperTool add-on: in the Person View, run the ToolsIsotammi toolsSuperTool...
assuming that your saved the following as a text file named People_Privacy.script, use File → Open to open that saved script.

[Gramps SuperTool script file]
version=1

[title]
SuperTool-People Privacy

[category]
People

[initial_statements]
# A simple script to change the Gramps Privacy "padlock" Oct2022 # of selected Persons to locked
# completely UNSAFE. Make a backup before running
# source:    https://gramps.discourse.group/t/how-to-set-private-record-for-multiple-people/2885/3

[statements]
myinitprivacy = person.get_privacy()
person.set_privacy(True)
myendprivacy = person.get_privacy()

[filter]

[expressions]
name, myinitprivacy, myendprivacy

[scope]
selected

[unwind_lists]
False

[commit_changes]
True

[summary_only]
False

select some Persons in the Person view
Click the Execute

Not so much. Changes made with SuperTool are recorded and reversible in EditUndo menu

1 Like

That’s true. But it can make so many changes quickly without confirming them with you. And if you have miscoded… or selected the wrong object selection… it may change something you don’t expect. And that you don’t think to check before the opportunity to ‘Undo’ is gone.

For example @kku cautioned me that the filter rule I added in the “Filter” section happened after the “statements executed” and affects the “Display” but does not limit the executed. The filtering needed to be in the “statement executed” section too.

I would not have noticed that until much later.