Hiding "Transcript" type notes in reports

Gramps version: AIO64-5.2.2-r1-f905d14
Operating System: Windows 10 22H2

Hi everyone,
I’ve been starting to use Gramps a bit more lately, and really like the Narrative web and Detailed Ancestral reports.
However, because I always transcribe the records, the transcription shows in the reports. This is an issue because, for big items (such as wills), it can take up multiple pages on PDFs and the majority of the person page on web sites.
Disabling source notes in the reports is also not an option because that is where the web links are stored (which is important for citations from places such as FamilySearch and web articles).
If anyone can provide some advice I will be very grateful.
Yannick

I save transcriptions not in notes but in separate txt-files. So, each my citation contains original audio and transcribed txt-file.
But also maybe you could use “Private” checkbox for your transcribe-notes? And if you need have some additional data as public, you can move this data into another public note. Will it work for you?

Welcome!

The only information I transcribe are records that I cannot download or otherwise create a file (pdf, jpg, etc) on my hard drive and add to Gramps as a media record to be added to a person/family as needed.

I too rely on the Narrative Web to send my cousins their branches of the tree. I like it because these media records get added to the report wherever found in Gramps and become available to the cousin to view.

With that said, Gramps allows you to lock or make private any portion of a person’s/family’s record. On the transcript notes, in the bottom right next to the Preformated check box and above the note type is a padlock icon. 22x22-gramps-unlock. Locking the record 22x22-gramps-lock will make the record private. You as the user of the database /tree will always have access to the record but in reports and exports, you can have any locked record excluded.

In setting up a Narrative web, the default is to exclude records marked Private or locked. On the first Report Options tab, you can check the box to have these records included.

Thank you for such a comprehensive answer.

The only information I transcribe are records that I cannot download or otherwise create a file (pdf, jpg, etc) on my hard drive and add to Gramps as a media record to be added to a person/family as needed.

What do you mean by this? Do you create a pdf with the image and also put a transcription with it, then attach the pdf instead of the original image?

If the record is an image, then that is what I download to my hard drive and add to Gramps. Most often this will get added to the Gallery tab in the Citation. But I have downloaded images like a military pension record that I combine into a single PDF file which I then attach to the citation. Most often it will be image files that I will be dealing with and have added many images to a single citation. The pension example I combine because they are usually a mix of different type and sizes of documents.

The bottom line though, I do not add a transcribed record of any image or PDF record that I have added. A rare exception may be a translation of a record but so far that has occurred twice.