Gramps configuration: genealogical symbols

very interesting! I just can’t help it though. I just don’t like them LOL. I am old school and I just want it to say birth, death, marriage etc.
Can anyone tell me how to get this to allow me to copy my modified file into the proper folder?

I expect you need to be logged in as a superuser

This is a very risky privilege state for users. All the safeties are disengaged because the system assumes SuperUsers have expert level skills.

I knew the hack page was an exercise in futility. (It was likely to be useful for almost no time.) But it has the dubious virtue of starting from the 5.1 distribution.

GitHub argues with me interminably. Today, it is even arguing about viewing files… and lists 3 extra files associated with your PR that aren’t even impacted .

The Birth and Death symbols have been in use for a very long time. I am in Finland and the graves here use those symbols. This one from a person who died 1906. (I hope it uploads ok)
Photo Headstone Hauho 1837-1906 Kalle Kaskala

1 Like

Hey! Stop trying to make it so hard to maintain our ‘ignorant American’ badges.

:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:

(Don’t worry. I’m an American… we’re allowed to insult ourselves. :wink:)

1 Like

can I move this using sudo in terminal? I think I can but I can’t figure out the exact command,
I know it will looks something like this

sudo mv [file] [directory]

but I am not sure how to point it to the right place - on both ends.  

my new file path

home/kathy/Desktop/symbols.py

the gramps folder location

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/utils

These symbols are already there. You needs to have other symbols too. gramps users are not only catholics. we have jews, muslims, … and this is why we have multiple death symbols. The problem is when you have multiple religions in your tree. In this case, you can use the skull symbol.

OMG I did it!!! Thanks everybody!

2 Likes

The skull & crossbones glyph is illegibly small on my screen. I decided to go with an alpha & Omega for birth & death to avoid modern political correctness dementia.

It will be easier with the next PR996.

1 Like

Until I received the grave image, that was the first time I had seen any symbols actually put into use. And from the latest email exchange, some were questioning how “universally understood” the symbols were. Having @LHa111 post his example actually helps to confirm that they really are.

1 Like

We use symbols on the headstone in Norway to…

Been done for ages…

Does not equal that we like them… :wink:

1 Like

I agree. The symbols seem to be fairly widely used, but they should also be configurable.

I agree. I did figure out how to “fix” my copy, but a great many probably won’t. It really needs to be an option in a future version to use or not use.