Being forced to use symbols

Hey folks. Once again we have a new update and once again we do not have an option to NOT USE the genealogical symbols. It is very hard for me to change the file. Is it so very hard to make an option in the program to use regular words like birth or death or married etc. I understand there are a few people that actually like these symbols. I am also quite certain they are the minority. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make an option in the next one to get rid of this. trying to uncheck the “use symbols” does nothing. So now I will spend the rest of my day desperately looking through my notes, trying to remember how to repair this nightmare of symbols, when someone that actually knows how to do these things could fix it in the program so that we are not forced to use archaic symbols in probably minutes. And if I am unable to get it repaired then I have to go back to the older version. Please just give an option in the next update. There have been I think 5 updates since this was forced on us

1 Like

Running 5.1.6 in Preferences, Genealogical Symbols I have “Use Symbols”
unchecked and it has never been an issue.
Phil

it shows symbols in mine and I have to edit the symbols file. using the 5.2 on windows 10

well, I finally got the boxes to take my changes, at least it didn’t take all day. although it did not work for several tries. Not checking symbols should automatically put in standard words not leave in the symbols. Sorry for complaining. I know everyone that works on this does it for free and I appreciate that. But maybe int he future symbols could be the option and not the default?

1 Like

This is one of the items that ought to be discussed for a 5.3 GUI revision.

It seems to me that the defaults ought to be the most “conspicuous” and “safe” alternatives. For instance, labels for toolbar and Navigator icons should be enabled by default. icons. So should the “Tip of the Day”. The power users are more qualified to know which preferences to change. (Although a “Power User” preferences switch would be nice.)

And GUI preferences check-boxes should all be in terms of “Show” or “Hide” rather than a mixed bag of “Hide” and “Show”.

1 Like

Apologies for this but Tip of the Day is very 90’s media hype and is
junk that should not be there in my opinion same as the Dashboard.
Phil

The dashboard is merely under-exploited. It has incredible potential that is unexplored. Initially, the dashboard was a gramplet screen before the gramplet sidebar and bottombar were created. A couple layout improvements and a few true dashboard gramplets would breathe new life into this category.

The content of Tip of the Day may be irredeemably outdated. It was created about 20 years ago. I don’t think anyone is invested enough anymore to go through the 63 tips one-by-one and freshen them. Or do the dozens of translations. Besides, there are too many years between opportunities to update the tool. People just are not built to maintain an interest with that much downtime between activities.

Possibly this thread should be renamed getting a little far removed from
start
The reason being.
When I first started with GRAMPS I rightly or wrongly saw it as an open
framework into which you can place Addons or Plugins in which case the
reverse should be true that you can remove or unplug these items.
I like to have a minimalistic screen so to find that some so called
Addons were “built in” and not removable was a little bit of a
disappointment (Fan Chart, Descendant Fan Chart, 2 Way Fan being examples).
Maybe for 5.3 a fundamental rethink of all current Addons, Plugins,
Built Ins and removing redundant material rather adding more and more
bright new ideas would be worth doing.
Phil

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.