Geography Views fail to initialize

Gramps 5.1.3-2 for Win10

I did an experiment the other day and may have messed up my Geography view. I’m hoping someone will have a suggestion before I have to fall back to re-installing Gramps. (I’ve applied quite a few patches… so I’m forlornly hoping to avoid a re-install.)

It seems to be stuck on initializing on my last Map Service selection. (Which was a cached set of watercolor map backdrop tiles.) So the first step would seem to be resetting to the default Map Service. It looks like I have to do that manually. I didn’t find that service in the gramps.ini or any of the Geography view mode INI files.

Where is the next file to check?

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.3\gramps\gui\viewmanager.py", line 809, in __create_page
    page = page_def(pdata, self.dbstate, self.uistate)
  File "C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.3\gramps\plugins\view\geoperson.py", line 215, in __init__
    nav_group)
  File "C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.3\gramps\plugins\lib\maps\geography.py", line 148, in __init__
    config.set('geography.personal-map', "")
  File "C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.3\gramps\gen\utils\configmanager.py", line 519, in set
    (section, setting))
AttributeError: No such config setting name: 'geography.personal-map'

You are trying to use a 5.2 geography module in 5.1.3. isn’t it ?

Not to the best of my awareness. I had applied the tweak you listed elsewhere on this forum.

Searched yesterday for the 5.2 pre-release branch to allow an experiment with your Freeze Gramplets patch. Discovered that was 5.2 only and had just had to restore the 5 changed files from a 5.1.3-2 AIO install. (I did not find the 5.2 branch yet.) It is likely that my install of that 5.1.3-2 to a USB removable tweaked my User Directory.

I expect to have to rip out the main 5.1.3 and re-install. (But I am in the midst of putting together County all-known-places GEDCOM file for their local genealogical society and need to finish that first.)

You need to modify:
gramps/gen/config.py
gramps/plugins/lib/maps/constants.py
gramps/plugins/lib/maps/geography.py
gramps/plugins/lib/maps/osmgps.py
gramps/plugins/view/geoclose.py
gramps/plugins/view/geofamclose.py
gramps/plugins/view/geomoves.py
gramps/plugins/view/geoperson.py
gramps/plugins/view/geoplaces.py

I hope all will be functional.
I think the best should be to work with master on a copy of your database.

1 Like

In the gramps.ini

[geography]
;;map_service=1

I thought that would be it too. (On my system, it was service 11.) After deleting that line entirely, the error still reported the same named service.

Am restoring the files that Serge suggested. [This worked! Yay! Thx Serge!]

map service is the map provider (osm, google, …) defined in gramps/plugins/lib/maps/constants.py

map providers

OPENSTREETMAP = 1
OPENSTREETMAP_RENDERER = 2
OPENAERIALMAP = 3
MAPS_FOR_FREE = 4
OPENCYCLEMAP = 5
OSM_PUBLIC_TRANSPORT = 6
OSMC_TRAILS = 7
GOOGLE_STREET = 8
GOOGLE_SATELLITE = 9
GOOGLE_HYBRID = 10
VIRTUAL_EARTH_STREET = 11
VIRTUAL_EARTH_SATELLITE = 12
VIRTUAL_EARTH_HYBRID = 13
YAHOO_STREET = 14
YAHOO_SATELLITE = 15
YAHOO_HYBRID = 16
PERSONAL = 30

1 Like

I had also fat-fingered a map service change on the Geography Context menu and Cleared the Tiles Cache on the Personal Maps by mistake.

Do you think that might have been the source of the initialization error?

By the way… the aesthetics of the water color map tiles really suited plotting of pioneer settlements.

Is that going to be one of the standard map services?

I don’t think so. If you removes the tiles, you start again to download tiles.

1 Like

No. This map management is different. And only a few users want to use them. This is provided with the geography views, because they are available in the narrative web. Many webs use those maps.
It is to have the same view in the geography and in the web.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.