Geographic view

I believe that the reason the pins are colored this way is to avoid copyright infringement. A Gramps user screen-capturing the view to share on the net will know that they should not publish Red Pin maps. ('cuz Microsoft could afford to hire all the lawyers in the world.)

And of course, the contributor creating the view modes made it to suit their purposes. It is a gift to the rest of us.

When I created the geography views, gramps was only used on Linux.
It is a free project. I could have removed the non free maps, but at the beginning, OSM maps were not already complete for many countries. This is the reason.

1 Like

Here is a screen capture after swapping in renamed @bjpcorp PNG files…

the shadows might be a bit too pale/transparent :

gramps-geo-mainmap.png Green pin
gramps-geo-altmap.png red pin
gramps-geo-birth.png (+)
gramps-geo-death.png (-)
gramps-geo-marriage.png (x)

in Windoze, a properly scaled pin with the standardized name should have been dropped into these folders (I just stayed with the 48x48 so Gramps scaled them instead.):

C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.5\share\gramps\images\hicolor\16x16\actions
C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.5\share\gramps\images\hicolor\22x22\actions
C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.5\share\gramps\images\hicolor\24x24\actions
C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.5\share\gramps\images\hicolor\48x48\actions

The set did not include the SVGs yet. So these were left unchanged:
C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-5.1.5\share\gramps\images\hicolor\scalable\actions

gramps-geo-mainmap.svg Green pin
gramps-geo-altmap.svg red pin
gramps-geo-birth.svg
gramps-geo-death.svg
gramps-geo-marriage.svg

The originals in the Gramps project GitHub Repository:
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/tree/master/images/hicolor/scalable/actions

or some more dense pins:

1 Like

I really liked your idea of themes… and to add Map Icons to the Event/Subject/Place.

Maybe it could be something added to the Types and Roles?

E.G.,if you have an Event for a vessel or on a vessel, you can add a ship icon to the type of place, so all places with the type of “Ship” or “Vessel” got an icon of a ship, or all Events with the type of a battle got a “big red bomb” as an icon (if that was what the user wanted)?

It might be as simple as letting the user chose the Icons for each “Type” or “Role” when they chose the Role or Type for an object/subject.

By simple I do not mean the programming effort needed to create it, I know it will be a huge amount of work to get something like this to actually work.

A little button to the right of the field in the GUI, maybe?
And a setting in the Themes setting where the user can choose a template/theme, but that can be override by the individual setting in the GUI itself?