Generated inconsistency using Web Sync plugin

I have a lokal family tree in Gramps Desktop that I had been keeping in sync with Gramps Web using the web sync plugin. That worked well for me (one user).

Then the following sequence of events happened:

1. Another family member X downloaded the tree into Gramps Desktop and edited it there.
  2. In the meantime, I made several edits to the tree and moved them to Gramps Web using the sync plugin.
  3. Family member X made several edits based on their local file and used the sync plugin.

The result was a broken database. For example, there were people records with identical ids (like two I0161) which lead to the UX not working properly.

I ended up merging the changes locally using Gramps Desktop. I wanted to upload the new version as a “clean slate” to Gramps Web but there seems to be no way to delete a tree or nuke the setup. (Or is there one that I didn’t find?) I ended up spinning a new server. (This is all using the Digital Ocean Droplet)

1. I understand that merging diverging databases is tricky, but is it expected that it would ever result in duplicate IDs?
  2. Is there a way (even through the command line) to empty the existing database so that I can upload a clean tree?

Hi,

sorry for the late reply and sorry you experienced this. Indeed duplicate Gramps IDs is a bug that needs to be fixed. I added an issue for it.

Is there a way (even through the command line) to empty the existing database so that I can upload a clean tree?

Not right now, but the development version of the sync plugin (from the above repo) has a new feature called sync mode: instead of bidirectional sync, you can choose “reset to local” or “reset to remote”, to force a 1-way sync. Please upgrade your backend to v1.2.0 as well before doing that.