GEDCOM Import Errors

(Please include your Gramps version and Operating System)
Win 11, 5.1.5

I just imported a GEDCOM from MyHeritage and got 125 errors like this:
Line ignored as not understood
Unknown Tag
Skipped subordinate line

It would be real helpful if the error output included the actual lines that it didn’t like.
The current output is absolutely no help in trying to know what to fix.

Best answer I could find here is this also you might find the following section of the user manual helpful

It would be real helpful if the error output included the actual lines that it didn’t like.
The current output is absolutely no help in trying to know what to fix.

Check your notes as described above and pastes some of the errors to help determine if the MyHeritage GEDCOM you have is using unsupported Custom GEDCOM tags you may be able to got back and recreate your GEDCOM at MyHeritage without them if you adjust the setting if availble?

Thanks for the great info. I will try what you suggested

@DoctorDan when I look through these errors after import of a test tree that I recently made on My Heritage, I find that most of them contain reference numbers that may have a meaning for My Heritage, but are quite meaningless for Gramps. And for those, I think that it’s OK that we ignore them. And the same may be true for others that contain all sorts of flags and qualifiers that have no meaning for Gramps either.

You may however find names and other pieces of text for which you think that they are relevant. And if you find those, it helps a lot if you can show those here, so that we can all look at them, and think about a better way of handling those.

Thanks.

Hi,
Once I knew about the notes, I went through them and all of the “errors” turned out to be irrelevant. There wasn’t a single error of any significance. They were mostly _UPD lines and a few about the MyHeritage web site.

Thanks

OK, thanks for checking.

With my test file, I also found _UPD events after import. Did you get those too? You can easily see them by sorting the events view by type, and they’re quite easy to delete too, if you want.

Yes, they were almost all _UPD. I just ignored them

OK, good to know. I asked, because some of these tags may be considered so irrelevant, that it might be a better option to let the importer ignore them all the way, and maybe not even mention them in the logs.

That’s a great thought. Maybe just a one-line text field for a semi-colon delimited list of tags to ignore?

You mean like in an INI file, or as part of the import dialog?

As a developer, I prefer to fix things in code, so that I don’t have to design a user interface, but that’s my problem,

Both? in dialog, show existing from ini. If edited in dialog, update ini.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.