Forms and their use

I use Forms all the time and yes I know there are risks (but so does crossing the road) the general tone seems to be against and was just wondering will Forms still be available in the next release 5.2, of which I had a brief look at the Beta and decided to leave until full release.
Phil
GRAMPS: 5.1.6
Python: 3.10.12 (main, Nov 20 2023, 15:14:05)
BSDDB: 6.2.9 (5, 3, 28)
sqlite: 3.37.2 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
Distribution: 6.2.0-39-generic

Yes, Forms are available in 5.2.

One of the reasons Forms are underutilized might be that there are unnecessary barriers-to-entry.

If it were easier to Select an appropriate Form to fill out … and to get an overview of the Forms applied… then they would get more use.

Take the starting point after you’ve added the Form Gramplet. It is confusing that the “New” button is actually select from Forms that you’ve added to your Sources. (So this ‘New’ is a image, not a Stock_add .) And that the Source popup isn’t a ‘Share’ option to select from the possible Forms that exist. It is actually a Sorting Order switch:

It isn’t until you’ve added some sources that there’s enough context for it to begin to make any sense. Here is a sample (the 1880 Ingalls’s tree that has several Sources with “Form” attributes) with enough context to understand that that you are selecting a Source. Although without the context that an 1880 US Census has already been added for the Active Person.:

Yet this could be MUCH more intuitive if it use an interface like the CensusCheck QuickView. It is obvious where the family members of the selected person have a Form completed. And where they were alive but do NOT have a form completed. So, double-click in the column with check boxes could switch the Form to that existing source record for editing. And double-clicking on the one with ? marks could start a new Form source for that person/family.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.