FamilySearch Gramplet

Yes it mainly is a family search issue since in Family Search they always will list census events as Residence. However this will conflict with the form gramplet if you change events in Gramps to Match Family Search.

With a bit of encouragement I installed PersonFS for testing a couple of days ago. Today I have been trying it out. It seems like a nice idea, but will not work for my workflows.

I am on Gramps 5.1.6, Fedora 39, KDE, nouveau, Wayland, python 3.12.

My goal is to be able to enter a Family Search ID number, then have that record pulled in. I had to read the README file to see where this option is. My testing, though short, revealed several things.

1. Every time I launch Gramps, it complains that it cannot login to Family Search. This happens even if I have Family Search up and running in a browser window.

2. When I ran the Import tool, it found the record I named. I chose to take one generation ascending, which I assumed was children of the chosen person. Nope, that was parents! The labeling needs to be clearer as to exactly which direction it goes.

3. Wow, did it ever mess with my place names! Every single place name it brought in was a duplicate. Finding and merging those duplicates took a lot of time. Good thing I did not import sources too.

4. I often find myself cleaning up the data at Family Search. Attaching sources, standardizing places and dates, merging duplicates and more. Using PersonFS across multiple generations would require visiting and cleaning every potential record before doing the import.

5. The gramplet takes a huge amount of horizontal area on the display. If I had two monitors, then maybe I could run Gramps full-screen on one - with room for PersonFS to display - and all the other apps I use on the other. I have no room for a dual-monitor setup. If the gramplet could be split out into its own window, that would be useful.

6. The README file says that the import option can be access either from the menu or from the gramplet. I am unable to find it on the Gramps menu.

In the end - I found that cleaning up after the import took more time than simply creating the record from scratch. Finding and merging duplicate place names was a huge part of that. Also adding the items that I want to store, such as URLs. I still have to add Find A Grave data even after importing.

To use an American expression - The juice is not worth the squeeze. Your mileage may vary, but for me this is not a useful addon.

Bill Gee

I knew that, but I didn’t try the latest, but now that you did, I suggest that you try Ancestral Quest Basics, in a Windows VM, RootsMagic Essentials, in Wine, not 8, or this tool:

In either case, import the GEDCOM into a new tree in Gramps, clean it, and then import the parts that you really want into your main tree.

I have been getting this error as well lately with the Gramplet. It used to work fine.

I removed the Gramplet, but noticed that RootsMagic changed its authentication, and maybe they were forced to do so. I have to log in with Firefox now, like I already had to do with Ancestral Quest, and maybe the Gramplet needs to be adapted for that too.

RootsMagic works well under Wine, so it’s a perfect add-on for Gramps, if you want to be a bit selective with FamilySearch data.

Is there any plan to add the Gramplet back? It is legitimately my favorite gramplet that I have used. Now that 5.2 is released would it be possible to make it an addon from the addon manager especially since windows has AIO now?

In the Addon Manager, add the Project:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jmichault/gramps-kromprogramoj/gramps52

3 Likes

Wow, thank you. Every time I comment I feel dumber and dumber LOL. Thank you for commenting and helping even when I make beginner mistakes!

As someone who will probably remain a gramps amateur forever as far as the coding and addons go, thanks for being a community that responds even to the silly questions.

The Addon manager and the ability to add projects is new in v5.2.

We probably need a more visible way for developers to list their projects.

Is there code we could paste into Gramps (via a SuperTool script, the Python Evaluation debug gramplet or the Python Shell) to add a Collection of Projects (such as these) in a single step?

The config key is “behavior.addons-projects”. It contains a list of [name, url, selected] lists.

You could add to it programmatically, or edit your .ini file directly.

Too be more explicit. The [behavior] configuration key is in the gramps.ini file in the gramps52 folder of the Gramps User Directory.

An example (including 3 projects) :

[behavior]
;;addmedia-image-dir=''
;;addmedia-relative-path=0
addons-allow-install=1
addons-projects=[['Gramps', 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/addons/master/gramps52', True], ['Isotammi GitHub', 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Taapeli/isotammi-addons/master/addons/gramps52', True], ['Jean Michault', 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jmichault/gramps-kromprogramoj/gramps52', True]]
;;addons-url='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/addons/master/gramps52'
autoload=1