FamilySearch Gramplet

I noticed in this thread that this Gramplet won’t work with Windows in it’s current state. Will there be a way to have this on windows in the future?

With the last release https://github.com/jmichault/PersonFS/releases/tag/v1.4.4, i have provided a gramps AIO with python 3.10 and more modules than official release.
It’s experimental, but the gramplet should work.

Awesome I would love to test this sometime. To install this into Gramps I would need to replace the regular where to check github link with the link you pasted in the above comment?

(and of course remember to back up my projects)

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: Why are Prerequisites for some add-ons so complex to install on Windows?

I may have just installed something wrong, but I attempted to install the different version of Gramps that you posted. I was able to get it running and extracted the PersonFS to the plugins folder. When trying to use either of the tools I get the error:
mismatched tag: line 301, column 10
Any advice? I would love to be able to test this as a windows user. Thanks.

Can you give some context for this? I installed it on Windows 11, where I already have a regular 5.1.5, and on this PC, it exits immediately. And when I try to run it in console mode, there is no message whatsoever.

I will try it on my laptop in a minute, and will also check what happens when I uninstall the regular version first.

I installed on Windows 10, I also have a regular 5.1.5 installed. So I installed it in a different folder to get it to run (Downloads Folder).

OK, I get it. So you got that error with the Gramps that you installed there. Can you see more when you run that Gramps in console mode?

I installed it om my laptop, in Windows 10, after removing the regular Gramps, and on that, I could connect to FS, and import some new famly members. I saw no errors there, but later it froze on me, so I removed it again, and went back to my desktop, with Windows 11, where I will give it another try, with the same scenerio, meaning after removing the regular Gramps.

I uploaded a new version on github: Release Versio 1.4.5 · jmichault/PersonFS · GitHub

Due to a change in the FamilySearch site, older versions no longer work.

I am still getting this error below. (Windows 10, installed in a different folder.) Is it because I didn’t uninstall my other version of Gramps?

Also I am not sure what console mode is exactly. I realize I am probably not the best person to test this but would love to learn to get better with this stuff.

80168: ERROR: grampsapp.py: line 173: Unhandled exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\coles\Downloads\Gramps Testing\gramps\gui\plug_windows.py”, line 807, in on_ok_clicked
self.run() # activate results tab
File “C:\Users\coles\Downloads\Gramps Testing\gramps\plugins\PersonFS\komparo.py”, line 106, in run
if not PersonFS.PersonFS.aki_sesio():
File “C:\Users\coles\Downloads\Gramps Testing\gramps\plugins\PersonFS\PersonFS.py”, line 142, in aki_sesio
locale.bindtextdomain(“addon”, base + “/locale”)
AttributeError: module ‘locale’ has no attribute ‘bindtextdomain’

As far as I can see there is no interference between installations, and to me, the error suggests that you may have a language issue. What is your system language? What languages did you check when you installed this version of Gramps?

If you open the Windows Start menu you will probably see two entries, and one of those has console in its name. This will open an extra window where you may see text output, like you can see in a DOS box, or in Powershell.

Maybe the author @jmichault can also tell us something about this error.

My system language is English. I noticed that the code is in a different language. I think I only checked the English language.

OK, thanks, your Englishness may be the problem then …

I’m saying this, because the error seems to occur in a localization module, and on my system, running in Dutch, and the author’s, who’s French, that module seems to be active, so that on our systems the bindtextdomain function is available. And you need that, to set the path to the translation data, also for English, because the add-on is written in Esperanto.

When you install Gramps in English, it is likely that, because Gramps defaults to English, this localization module is not active, so that this bindtextdomain is not available, unless properly initialized.

This is a wild guess, but it may explain why the author and I don’t see this.

You may be able to test my theory by adding an extra line

locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')

above the one mentioned in the error message, meaning at line 142 in PersonFS\PersonFS.py. And since you installed the plugin yourself, you know where that file is.

Note that, in Python, this line must have the same indentation as the surrounding lines, so you need to take care that it has, by adding a proper amount of tabs or spaces at the start of that line.

AttributeError: module ‘locale’ has no attribute ‘bindtextdomain’

Apologies, I had dealt with the bindtextdomain issue well elsewhere, but not here.
I’ve released a version that should fix this:

https://github.com/jmichault/PersonFS/releases/tag/v1.4.6

Thank you. That’s an interesting change, because on my system, running in Dutch, the attribute does exist.

@Guacacole can you test this new version for us?

It works! and WOW. I am blown away by this Gramplet…

I may have a few picky things that could be suggestions for the Gramplet / tool.

1. Residence Events don’t align with Census events in Gramps. Obviously this might be a me issue and I could always relabel my Census events as Residence to get them to match up.
  2. While it is sometimes nice that it automatically puts the tags on, at the same time since they are in a different language I have to look up what each of them mean. I am sure this is something that I could probably edit on my end in the code even but just something to note. I would almost prefer the option to only add the tags by a push of a button (like the marked as conforming box).
  3. I only tried the import twice but both times I got an error which crashed gramps. In all honesty I would be fine with the gramplet if this was never fixed but just let me compare entries quick. I can always edit the person with the data entry or forms gramplets while still having the FS gramplet up.

Again I want to stress that this would be an awesome feature to have (once it can be stable) even though I am nitpicking things. Honestly this is amazing.

2 Likes

Nice to know that you like it! I have also noticed that it’s very powerful when I tried it in Linux, which is where I do most of the work. I’m a retired software engineer, and everything you and others find is a nice challenge to keep me busy, even if I’m not the author of things.

Can you give us an example of that event misalignment, like by giving a link to a profile on FamilySearch? I’m asking, because I know that some things are quite messy, but I don’t run into these very often, because we don’t have many census records here. And when they exist, I also see that they’re sort of distorted when they’re transfered from the Dutch open archives portal to FamilySearch. And I bet that you see other types of these, because your research is in another area. And if you can give such an example, I can also check how it is imported by Ancestral Quest or RootsMagic.

Personally, I am also very pleased with the comparison feature. It works way faster than searching for a person on FamilySearch manually, and it shows more matches than Ancestral Quest and RootsMagic, which is also quite nice.

It would be nice to know what kind of error you see on import, so that that part can be improved too. I have long used Ancestral Quest and RootsMagic for that purpose, and I still do that, because that route gives me more control, but it is more work, because it involves exporting a GEDCOM to one of these programs, importing some branches with that, and then importing and merging the new branch into Gramps.

Have you tried sending data from Gramps to FamilySearch? I tried that a few times, for persons who were not found on FamilySearch, but at that time, only the person’s names and gender arrived, and I had to do some additional work on-site afterwards. And at that time, copying individual evens to FamilySearch didn’t work either.

Here is an image of the misalignment, again I realize this is something that I could fix (and somethings I do plan on fixing for consistency sake such as census data being attached at the individual level instead of the family) The blue shows the same date and place (redacted for privacy) just has a different label. Like I said maybe this is a me issue and I should be recording them all as residence instead of Census.

Well it turns out the errors were from having all of the settings set to 0 on the import. I changed them all to one and now the import tool is working. It is really nice too.

OK, I get it, and I think that it’s a FamilySearch problem. They generate lots of Residence events when you attach sources.

Yes exactly, sometimes duplicates. This is why the auto tagging feature could be frustrating if you keep getting missing events but in reality they are documented just in a slightly different way.

The tagging portion could be left to the user that way they could still specify what they want their tags to say too(also not language dependent).

While it is a good feature in theory I see it getting in the way.