Error Importing Gedcom Files Whether Created by Family Tree Maker or Gramps Itself

Gramps Version 5.1.6 and Operating System is Fedora Linux Version 39

I am having a problem importing any gedcom file. I first attempted to import a gedcom file created in Family Tree Maker 2014 but got the error message “could not open file akibufamilytree.ged” “file type ‘ged’ is unknown to Gramps.” “Valid types are: Gramps database, Gramps XML, Gramps package, GEDCOM, and others.”

I then thought the perhaps it was a problem with the encoding from Family Tree Maker, so I exported a Gramps test family tree to the GEDCOM format. Then I attempted to import that same file into a test Gramps family tree but I got the same error message.

Any idea what might be happening?

One thing that I have noticed if it helps is that on the import screen in the select file type for import dialog box (default is ‘Automatically detected’), if I use the drop down menu to attempt to specifically select GEDCOM, there is no entry for GEDCOM. The only possible selections are CSV, GeneWeb, Gramps Package (portable XML), Gramps 2.x database, Pro-Gen, and vCard.

Note, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Also, I have installed the flatpak version of program to see if that would work for the import to no avail.

In addition, I tested out exporting to the Gramps XML (family tree) format and then importing that into a separate test Gramps family tree and it imported fine. So it does appear that the issue is specific to the import of GEDCOM files. The GEDCOM version of the files are 5.5 and 5.5.1.

Thanks in advance.

Since the fileformat isn’t listed as an option, your GEDCOM (built-in) importer plug-in is probably disabled or corrupted.

The exporter plugin is a separate module.

Have you added, customized or disabled and plugins?

Thanks for the quick response. To answer your question, I have not added, customized nor disabled any plugins. I merely installed Gramps with whatever default options existed.

I just looked under the ‘Registered Plugins’ tab under Plugin Manager and the GEDCOM Importer Plugin is listed as Visible. However, under the ‘Loaded Plugins’ tab I only see the 'exportgedcom.py file as Loaded and Visible. I don’t actually see a corresponding importgedcom.py file listed. Is there supposed to be one listed on that tab? Thanks in advance.

I also just checked the “/usr/lib/python3.12/site-packages/gramps/plugins/importer” directory and I do see an ‘importgedcom.glade’ file as well as an ‘importgedcom.py’ file along with others, eg. importcsv.py, etc.

As an aside, Is there supposed to be an ‘import’ subdirectory under the plugins directory like there is an ‘export’ subdirectory thereunder or is the ‘importer’ subdirectory serving that purpose?

Any way to forcibly load the importgedcom plugin?

Thanks again.

Yes. Using import as a directory name caused us problems.

I ran ‘journalctl | grep -i gramps’ and saw a warning message: “_manager.py: line 307: Plugin error (from ‘importgedcom’): No module named ‘imp’”

Is there a way to manually import the module ‘imp’? Thanks.

1 Like

Can you start Gramps from the command line and then attempt the GEDCOM import and see if the terminal has the full error that you can paste here please?

A quick search shows that it most likely related to Python 3.12 deprecating “imp” see:

• How do I migrate from imp? that starts " We are upgrading to Python 3.12 in Fedora and I need to port various packages I haven’t written from imp to importlib."

and if you look at the Gramps 5.2 GEDCOM importer you can see that it has been fixed to importlib already so Gramps 5.2 will work.

1 Like

@Patsyblefebre Thank you for responding. I ran gramps from the terminal and then tried to import the gedcom file and I received two warnings in the terminal listed below the second of which is the same as that listed in journalctl.

“WARNING: dummydb.py: line 1420: database is closed”
“WARNING: _manager.py: line 307: Plugin error (from ‘importdegcom’): No module named ‘imp’”

I will check out the link you sent and advise all of progress.

Thanks.

1 Like

Checking Fedora’s page on Gramps you can see that Fedora 40 already has Gramps 5.2 and that about 22 hours ago Fedora 39 had Gramps 5.2 moved into testing, noidea how long it will be till available for you?

In the mean time I’d suggest preparing by backing up all your family trees and media.

This is caused by running Gramps with Python 3.12.

v5.1.6 needs to have 3 patches applied.

v5.2.0 needs the patch in PR #1672 to be applied. The GUI should work, but there may be some problems with command line functionality.

Perhaps we should release v5.2.1 soon?

3 Likes

Should we start “Targeting” MantisBT 5.2.0 reports for the 5.2.1 roadmap ?
Like:

• 0013212: Debian package fails to build with Python 3.12 as default
  • 0013194: [ macOS] Bad icons in Required window of Addon Manager

@Nick-Hall Understood re the cause being running Gramps with Python 3.12 and v5.1.6 needing to have a few patches applied. Thanks for the confirmation!!

As for my own situation, I was able to import the GEDCOM file using the Gramps v5.2 version from Windows and then exporting as a Gramps xml back to my Fedora 5.16 Gramps installation… so I am all sorted with the initial problem.

Should I mark this as problem as having a solution… with that solution being to upgrade one’s version to Gramps v5.2.0 or above (with the caveat that if using the command line, a certain patch might be needed)?

Thanks again everyone @Patsyblefebre @emyoulation @Nick-Hall for your help.

2 Likes

The solution will be to upgrade to v5.2.1 when it is released, but v5.2.0 should be fine if you are just using the GUI.

For people running v5.1.6 with python 3.12 also expect problems with:

• Gedcom import
  • Pedigree gramplet
  • Number of ancestors report
  • Plugin manager reload (not a concern for most users)
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.