Dates for Shared Events

Gramps 5.1.5
Currently Shared Events can have only a single date. I’ve seen a couple of posts about different date ranges for different participants of a single event, i.e someone moving out of a family house, selling part ownership of property, joining as an owner of an existing business.
I imagine it could look something like the dates on the Enclosed By Places tab.

Is it possible this feature will come in the future? Or is it a hard no?

An event occurs at a precise date or a date range (from … to).

I don’t uderstand why you want to have two or more dates for this event.
If you have several dates for the same event, these are not the same events and you should not share them.

I have one case in my genealogy where i found three dates for the same marriage!
They forgot where they married during the french revolution.
So they reconstitute a marriage event at a date “One” in a place “A”
I found the same religious marriage at e date “Two” in a place “B”
and I found the same civil marriage at a date “Tree” in a place “C”

So I created three events with there respective date, place and source.

A couple move into a home together in 2000. A moves out in 2005. B moves out in 2010.

Currently, I can see two ways to deal with this:

1. A and B get non-shared Residence events from 2000 to 2005 and 2000 to 2010
  2. A and B get a shared Residence event from 2000 to 2005 and B gets a non-shared Residence event from 2005 to 2010.

The problem with option 1 is that it’s not immediately obvious who else was involved when reading about one of the participants while option 2 adds unnecessary bulk to person B.

Correct if wrong but… it sounds like you are asking for a Dates modifier attribute for the non-Primary (or non-Family) roles. That something that could only be valid if the Event had a Range or Span for its Date.

For example, one of the few Events with non-primary role in the Example.gramps tree is shown below with the proposed Date field highlighted. It does not make sense because the Marriage event was on a specific date, not a span like the Family relationship type of “Married” which is a calculated span that is extrapolated from the intersection of the lifespans of the 2 main participants and which is bounded by certain key events: Engagement, Marriage, Divorce.

It seems like such a feature could be pretty fragile. It would be too easy too break a shared Role’s dates when editing the date of the Event. And also too easy to define dates that do not intersect.

Exactly

I can’t imagine why it would be an issue if it works for Place Alternative Names and Enclosed by.

How are others dealing with such situations as the example I gave?

These are three differents events for the same place. This is not the same event.
Nothing is sharable here.

Sorry, three events and non are shared? Please can you clarify which is which?

You should have three events.
The first event in 2000 is shared between A and B. These two people move to the same place P.
The second event in 2005 for A. A is leaving P.
The third event in 2010 for B. B is leaving P.

I see, so you don’t use Span dates for residency events?

If the event was fully shared between two dates, I would use an interval date, but in your case we cannot.
It will be too difficult to solve this problem only for a few cases.
Remember that we are not many contributors to gramps and we can not waste time to develop such a feature so little used.

Instead of Resident events, try using the Addresses. Each Person gets the same Address record with their own date information. And then the House Timeline addon can aggregate the information.

NOTE: These are NOT shared records. You can drag-n-drop the Address record into other people’s record, but it is only a copy of the information, not a common record shared with people.

And the address record is NOT a place record, nor does it have GPS mapping capabilities.

Of course, I understand

This surprises me but, again, I understand.

I’m leaning towards this option, and using the description field to clarify ‘moved in’, ‘moved out’, ‘purchased’, ‘sold’.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.