Card View status and testing

Greetings!

I am unsure how many here have been following the new view I have been playing with that started life as the Experimental Person Profile View and then morphed into the Linked View. It has been renamed again for the last time to the Card View and is no longer a single view but now a set of them one for each category that all work together. The card view name was finally settled on since it uses something similar to the card motif common in web design and it kind of complements the corresponding set of list views.

The Github repository for it, along with updated documentation and screenshots better describing the various features it provides, can be found at GitHub - cdhorn/CardView: A Gramps browseable object view

There are still bugs to uncover and sort for sure, but it is fairly usable now, certainly more so than when I first started. And while I do have a couple more possible features in mind I think it is at a point where I could use more help testing to uncover as many bugs, problems or oversights as possible especially on non-Linux platforms.

So I thought I would post and ask if anyone has any cycles to please take the latest copy out for a spin. If you have problems please check the open issues list and if needed open a new one with as much detail as possible. I am hoping to tidy things up to finally push it into the AddOns Source repository for a more formal code review and possible initial release.

Thanks,
Chris

7 Likes

Thanks Chris, Iā€™ll try this version especially things Iā€™d not tested yet (new or Iā€™d not seen before) like drag and drop of objects or text, and Zotero too.

1 Like

Wow this really a Super addon like the Isotammi addons that needs to be part of Gramps :slight_smile: ,

Especially love the Tags list view, which your readme says does not exist but it does fyi?

As you update Iā€™ll keep testing and try to provide some more feedback.

Forever grateful, whenever did you have the time!

2 Likes

There are lots of Easter eggs in this add-on. And the configurability is astounding and confounding.

The workflow documentation and tutorials may take years!

Hi

ā€¦

There are still bugs to uncover and sort for sure, but it is fairly usable now, certainly more so than when I first started. And while I do have a couple more possible features in mind I think it is at a point where I could use more help testing to uncover as many bugs, problems or oversights as possible especially on non-Linux platforms.

Realy nice - it will take me some time to learn how to use it efficiently.

I was missing the stock icon ā€œgramps-relation-linkedā€ but replaced it
with ā€œgramps-relationā€ and that seems to work.

I seem to recall you had LOTS of tags. Let me know how if it handles that okay.

1 Like

The tag list view was added last night, there are some quirks.

Someone else reported this and I will look into it, think it is a Windows quirk as it works for me on Fedora.

I recycled the icon Barrie made for the previous version when it was the LinkedView.

I need a new set of icons for it. He was going to try to make some time to do so but if someone else is good with that stuff it would be helpful. Iā€™m certainly not.

The Card View has a lot going on and it is easy get lost when first get started. Particularly when clicking somewhere and finding yourself suddenly looking at an entirely different category view mode, with a whole new warren of rabbit holes beckoning.

The Pinned Views are really helpful in alleviating disorientation. (n.b., the link will scroll to the section header if opened in a browser from a context menu. But just clicking in the Discourse app can sub-launch a GitHub window ā€“ which ignores the subheading and just navigates to top of document.)

They spawn a floating snapshot of the current View. And, even when you navigate the ā€˜active object focusā€™ away in the live view, that pinned floater focus stays the same ā€¦ but with all its gadgetry still ā€˜liveā€™ and its content continually synchronized. So, move the floating window to a 2nd screen and you can systematically explore the entire card-full of data interconnections.

A trick that worked previously to keep from bogging down in a mass of floating widows is to use the Configuration to LIMIT the number of pinned views.

Try limiting to just one. So, if you pin another, the existing pinned view is replaced ā€“ allowing a quick refresh of your floating reference cheat sheetā€¦ no need to hunt down and exterminate the old one.

Limiting to two allows you to keep track of changes as you work on harmonizing data entry on siblings or persons having another element in common).

1 Like

@cdhorn, my initial reactions are ā€œWow!ā€ and ā€œThank you!ā€.

It will take me some time to explore and understand, though your documentation is very helpful.

I think, before I become too accustomed to the defaults, I will try to imagine my own ideal workflows and then see how I might configure these new views to achieve them.

1 Like

The Github repository for it, along with updated documentation and screenshots better describing the various features it provides, can be found at GitHub - cdhorn/CardView: A Gramps browseable object view

I have created the subdirectory but canā€™t find what to paste into it. Iā€™m not very good at this stuff. Is there a step by step process you can show me?

You can following these instructions to manually install the addon.

Addons in the exploratory stages tend to be initially posted to the GitHub Gramps-Project repositories and have to be manually installed. Be certain to backup your Tree before installing anything.

There is a potential for data loss with such preliminary versions.

5.1 Addons - Gramps

From Gramps reddit

1 Like

Thank you so much. It was a lot easier than I thought. After rebooting Gramps I found the extra icon at the top of the page and it worked. Again, thank you.

Alan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.