Best Practices for Relationships

I have a couple of questions about what the best practices are for handling some situations I came across.

1. If I have 2 people that are possibly cousins, where is the best place to put that information? If I put it on one of them as a person note, that wouldn’t maintain the relationship. In this case I don’t have the other people so it can’t be inferred from familial relationships.

2. Where would I put a note regarding a sibling relationship? A family note is not specific to which siblings it’s referring to?

I’d appreciate any help on how this kind of thing is normally handled, I’m new to this. Thanks!

Add something like “3rd-5th Cousin” in each Person’s Associations and then point it at the opposite person. If you use specific reciprocal or symmetrical Associates a lot, you can tweak the SyncAssociations addon tool to create the opposing Association (with the appropriate Role) automatically.

1 Like

I considered doing that but I was under the impression that Associations were for non-familial relationships. Is that not the case?

Associations can also be used as placeholders when you have not yet discovered the family connection. Once that connection is made (through Family relationships), you can delete the Placeholder.

1 Like

You just add the 2 persons as offspring in Family container. A Family doesn’t need to have known parents yet. See the “add a child” article in the How do I… category

1 Like

You can also create a free-floating “To Do” Note that describes the theoretical relations and link the 1st mention of the Person’s name in the Note to the Person.

Then keep track of your research progress in the body of the Note. Once you have confirmed each element of the research and committed a cited record to the tree, you can remove it from (or mark it ‘done’ in) the To Do Note… until, finally, you can delete the completed To Do Note itself.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.