Any alternatives since Gramps doesn't Import .paf files?

I have a number of old .paf files from about 2007-14 which I would like to import into Gramps and re-start my genealogy - as I have become a Gramps… :slight_smile:
I no longer have the Personal Ancestral File programme which created them, and, anyway, used fields which were not transferable via GEDCOM.

How might this be done please ? Or am i cut off from my previous work :-/
Regards, Leo
GRAMPS: 5.1.3
Python: 3.9.5 (default, May 11 2021, 08:20:37) […
BSDDB: 6.2.9 (5, 3, 28)
sqlite: 3.34.1 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
Distribution: 5.11.0-22-generic
(Please include your Gramps version and Operating System)

Personal Ancestral File .paf files are not one of the filetypes Gramps will import.

However, a 2013 Tamura Jones article listed several places you could still download the discontinued tool. Dunno if any are still valid.

And another article lists other tools that will import the file.

If you want there is that old copy on my cloud of PAF 5 installation file:

You could generate gedcom files from your paf files and load them into gramps

2 Likes

Here is a good link (I just tried it) for PAF5.2 from the Silicon Valley Computer Genealogy Group.

If nothing else, it will allow you to create the GEDCOM file for import. When I migrated from PAF to Gramps I had no problem migrating to Gramps from a PAF GEDCOM.

1 Like

Many thanks to you all - I now have a copy of PAF5 and can access the files on my wife’s laptop :smiley:

I’ll try to install it on Linux wine again, but in any case I can still download and transfer GEDCOM files, for the major part of the transfer to Gramps, and can identify and re-input any missing data - Great - Many thanks, Regards, Leo

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.