What is the optimal Navigator configuration?

Why I like the Drop-Down (no labels) Navigator

dropdown

As @emyoulation already pointed out, this only really works by hiding the other two sidebars in the Plugin Manager. This disables the category selector and loads only your preferred Navigator.

• Selecting any of the main icons automatically takes you to the last selected view in the category. Category does this but using Drop-Down, selecting another view in the category can be done without first going to the category’s last view to select another view.

• In Drop-Down, all the icons are large. Not so in the Expander. And unlike Expander, the top button takes you to the last viewed in the category.

Another tweak

To resort the order of the Navigator categories you can edit gramps.ini view-categories=[]. This edit needs to be done while Gramps is closed. Those with keen eyes may have noticed that I have moved some of the categories up and down. This type of hack does take getting used to a new click memory. Even though I wanted and made my changes, it took my mouse a little while to find the repositioned icons.

2 Likes