What does Check and Repair's creation of missing referenced Objects imply?

A matter on nomenclature. A macro Object in Gramps are the records that can be shared with other objects. People, Families, Places, Events, etc. The components of the Gramps database. Not to be confused with Media objects, although Media records are Gramps Objects. One of my first changes I made was to change the leading letter from O to M for the Media category.

I try to run C&R at least once a month. If any errors show up, hopefully there are only one or two and I try to resolve them at that time. Frequent use of the tool allows me to have a chance to remember what I was doing with those records.

Likewise, I run the Remove Unused Objects tool (macro Objects) at least once a week first for Events, then for Citations and finally for Notes. When items show up in the list to delete, I again have a chance to remember why I am deleting them.

The only time the “Objects referenced by this note…” should be removed from the offending object is when the user has resolved the issue. Remember, it is the record the has the note that is the problem, not the note Gramps created.

My most frequent occurrence are for events that I have deleted that the C&R finds as a problem. A new event is created with the attached note. The only part of the event that gets created is the event’s Type. No date, no place. This does not happen often but when the C&R finds a problem it usually is an event. Gramps has resolved the issue having ‘fixed’ the database with the C&R. But it takes action by the user to resolve the issue in their genealogy.

Once I have resolved the issues, I immediately run the C&R again to confirm no ongoing issues. A clean bill of health.

1 Like