Url in Gramps report

During a recent exchange with a member of my family who asked me for details on an individual and after sending the report “Complete individual file” from the Textual reports section of the said individual…
I noticed that Gramps did not generate any internet links that could be used directly in both LibreOffice/Writer (.odt) and pdf format.
Use:
For the end user

• To have these links hard coded with Write r put the cursor at the end of the character string of the url and press “Enter” then the link appears
  • With pdf file for me with my Okular pdf reader highlight the url and contextual menu “search with Google example”
    what did i miss
    Thanks

Gramps : 5.1.5
Kubuntu : 22.04

1 Like

That particular Report generates a single stand-alone file. Are you sure URLs (internet links) for navigating to other external locations are the right feature? What would be the target URL?

Maybe you are asking about having internal bookmarks/anchors for navigating internally within the document?

I will often add the URL to a citation using the citation’s Note tab. I use the note Type ‘Html code’. But the main thing is to run your database through the Note cleanup addon. I simple do a Search and then do a Save All.

Now when I create the Complete Individual report (which I print to a PDF) the links in the Citation notes become clickable. Not really clickable in the PDF but it does allow you to open the link.

I just tested it on an OpenDocumnent Text. Right-clicking the link allows you to open it.

Citation
emyoulation

11 h

That particular Report generates a single stand-alone file. Are you sure URLs (internet links) for navigating to other external locations are the right feature? What would be the target URL?

Maybe you are asking about having internal bookmarks/anchors for navigating internally within the document?

In this specific case I think so.
This report being used in the context of an exchange of information via email, for example, facilitates the use of these URLs:

• To document an object of gramps 'Event, Places,…)
  • Use of permalink increasingly used on the sites of the French departmental archives ----> direct access to the page of the register corresponding to a citation for example
    Here is the reason for this question
    This defect is not blocking but surprises me?
    Note:
  • A url in a citation note works correctly in Gramps and gives satisfactory results when exporting from gedcom to the genealogy site I use (Geneanet)
    https://gw.geneanet.org/bjc49?lang=fr&n=brevard&oc=0&p=jean+francois

the only more or less elegant way to do what I wanted is to use the “link” button in the note editor menu
And this time the report contains the functional link

I just add the URL into the Note of the Citation.

I cropped this from a PDF of the Complete Individual. I created each citation using the same steps. The only difference was the second note with its URL was run through the Note Cleanup tool. In the PDF only the second URL can be opened from within the PDF.

The Note Cleanup will do the same for any URL in any Note wherever placed within Gramps.

2 Likes

Note cleanup tool corrected the writing of the links as you describe it
But unfortunately I couldn’t go any further because I encountered a LibreOffice error when creating the report:
“Playback error.
Format error in subdocument file content.xml at position 573.49(row,col).”
I performed this test on a mirror test base
And I don’t know where this error comes from.
Could this be a consequence of running the tool?

I do not see that error.

I did an additional test on a person where I used the note’s Link editor to create a more stylized link within a note. Printing to the OpenDocument text allowed those links to be opened without error.

I do not understand the “error in subdocument file content.xml”. Is this document contained in the link?

Thank you for drawing my attention to this “Note cleanup tool” which is really essential if you want to have correct textual reports at the level of the urls used to document Gramps objects
Following my error message I fell back on an html edition with a very clear presentation with the advantage of using only an ordinary browser
This solution works for me
thanks agai

Warning
In my case, it was Note Cleanup Tool that caused the above error to appear for some of my files, including the one I had chosen as an example.
Being in no way competent I created a signal: 0012880: Error ( Libre Office ) - Complete Individual Report - Format odt - Gramps - Bugtracker – Free Genealogy Software

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.