Updating the Download wiki page status for 5.1.6 (Homebrew & Linux)

The macOS listing on the Downloads page have been updated… both for the .dmg and for MacPorts.
As has the 64-bit AIO installer for Windows.

But how to update the macOS Homebrew section is a mystery to me. Googling discovers that the Homebrew Formulae webpage says they are at 5.1.6-1 version. Is this the ‘official’ repository for homebrew casks? The Wiki pages don’t seem to point at anything Gramps specific. The wiki’s homebrew section is confusing.

The BSD section on the Downloads page is likewise confusing. The BSD platforms links branches to a page where first 2 links in the automatic installation section suffer from linkrot. But the ports.freebsd.org and Freshports.org list Gramps at the 5.1.6 version.

Apparently still holding downloads at the 5.1.5 version are:

Have any of the Linux distros been updated yet?

Re Homebrew, I’m not sure what you’re asking exactly. A Homebrew “cask” is really just a way to download the Gramps dmg (directly from the Gramps web site)*. The source code for the cask is at:

Note that the url in line 5 points to the Gramps project on Github. If you check the change history, the code was updated on July 3, 2023 to version 5.1.6.

Re unix versions, you might want to look at Repology:

The various tabs for the Gramps project show which distributions are carrying Gramps and at what version. The History tab identifies when updates have happened. Of the 25 distros with Gramps, 10 are presently carrying v. 5.1.6 and 11 are at 5.1.5. Both Homebrew and MacPorts are tracked by Repology, if that helps.

Craig
*The advantage for a Homebrew user is that if you have lots of software installed by Homebrew, you can keep it all up to date without running around to various web sites to check for updates.

1 Like

It is easy to forget to update the wiki page when a new version of Gramps is available in other packages. For example, the flatpak version at the wiki said 5.1.5-1, which was pushed in Feb 2022 and was five revisions ago. The flatpak version 5.1.6-1 got pushed several weeks ago.

So Gramps 5.1.6-1 has been on flathub for 24 days as of 24 July 2023

I will try to find my password and update the wiki for the flatpak.

2 Likes

@Nick-Hall This is a good point. Could you add to your What to do for a release to include a Message to package maintainers to ensure the Gramps Downloads page is updated after a new package is posted?
It might suggest either:

1. email the developers maillist when the package is updated
  2. update the appropriate Version template on the Wiki

We have to use MediWiki’s transclusion templates for the Version numbers because there are so many translations of the Gramps Downloads wiki page. The drawback to this is that MediaWiki templates add another layer of markdown specialized knowledge to assimilate. (Our project has a lot of different markdown dialects to learn: the internal Gramps Notes, GitHub, Discourse, MediaWiki, MantisBT, HTML, Python text styling) So it makes sense to just send an eMail and let the WikiContributors handle that piece of announcement.

Note that some package maintainers are preparing for the proverbial bus by documenting their process for a release. It also serves as a checklist when the process becomes too convoluted to remember easily. (See the wiki articles for a New Gramps Release, an AIO installer, rolling over a new Wiki manual version)

We are slowly adding standard hints to the Templates for the MediaWiki template too. (Since they are updated so infrequently that WikiContributors forget too.) The format is still evolving. See the templates for the Stable branch and version of the wiki manual

We have a predictable cluster of new releases right now. (5.1.6 was just released, the 5.2 beta is imminent, the 5.2 public release will follow shortly.)

So now is an opportune time for package maintainers to build a checklist for the packages without any ‘bus insurance’. And for those who have a WikiContributor account, they can begin to build such a checklist on their personal page. (WikiContributors can also edit your personal MediaWiki Watchlist so that they will be notified of future changes to the template for the package being maintained.) And you can send an eMail on the developer mailist if you want help converting a checklist to a public article.

I don’t have a full list of our maintainers. There are only four listed on our Team page.

As far as the others are concerned, I’m not sure whether they would be interested in updating our wiki.

I thought that the note to package maintainers might go in the Release Note message to the Developer Maillist and Posting here on Discourse.

That way you won’t inherit another unmanageable task: managing a list of maintainers.

I don’t mind adding a reminder at the end of the standard release announcement on the developers mailing list.

1 Like

@prculley The GrampsPortable build seems to be dependent on the availability of a 32bit installer. Will a 32bit AIO be built for 5.1.6 version?

Since there is no self-adapting 32bit/64bit version, J. T. Haller (the maintainer) needs an official posting that the 32bit Windows version is no longer officially supported before they could move from using the 32bit version as the base for GrampsPortable. If the 32bit support is being discontinued, can it wait for the 5.2 release?

I was not planning to do a 32-bit version. It takes me about a days work to update, build and test an AIO, and I think its time to begin dropping 32-bit.

This is the first request I’ve gotten so I don’t see much demand.

Note that the AIO has never been ‘officially’ supported. But I’m not sure any other OS is either…

1 Like

I understand that it is a burden. But since 5.1.6 is supposed to be the last 5.1.x maintenance release, would be a more logical tombstone revision.

Microsoft announced in May 2020 that “Windows 10 version 2004 will not allow 32-bit Windows for OEM devices”. However, they have since removed that announcement. Still, that seems to have been the harbinger of death for 32-bit support. (Even the Raspberry Pi is 64bit now.)

You are as official for Windows as such things get for Gramps. The majority of the wiki illustrations are Windows based as are most of the users. If you send a developer maillist email about discontinuing 32-bit AIO, then that will suffice to change PortableApps to 64-bit too.

Perhaps it is time for Gramps to acknowlege the Windows and macOS support instead of condemning them to a existence of bastardry?

We only officially support the Linux source distribution. All other platforms are community supported.

Read the mailing list thread on supported platforms for details.

The problem was that we didn’t have developers who were committed to support other platforms.

Are there any plans to release a 5.1.6 as .deb file? I am running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and the repositories have not been updated.
Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.