Unable to connect or no server response sometimes

every now and then, like about every 1 to 2 weeks, my browser acts as it can’t connect or gets no response to a connection. if i clear cookies (which also clears some other stuff) and try again, then i can get in, though i have to login, again. i’m not seeing this happen anywhere else. i do have a few browser separate processes running concurrently. anyone else seen this happen?

browser: Firefox 82.0
vpn: OpenVPN over private VPC running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server edition (includes IPv6)

(Admin here) I’m not seeing any issues with the Gramps discourse server, so not on our end at least. Who do you VPN with?

i lease a VPC at TransIP in Netherlands. i run an older Ubuntu on it. i set up my own VPN with OpenVPN on each end to get IPv6 and have my IPv4 appear from a different country.

logging in today saw a new problem. only partial content was delivered. this is what it looked like (1920x1080 image). i reloaded and got a full page. must be some packet loss somewhere. maybe there’s an IPv6 issue somewhere. i could be getting IPv6 connection attempts since my Firefox is set to favor IPv6. i will set up some tcpdumps to watch it for a while now that i see it is hosted at Hurricane Electric (a very good place to host serious servers).

Interesting, I’ve not seen that before, was this over your VPN/C connection?

The screenshot shows you have the Firefox browser set at 220% magnification, but setting that here did not cause the issue for me.

Do you get the same in a different browser with your setup?

I got this same screen first thing on 30 October when attempting to access site. On the third try everything was fine. Issue with CSS file ??

I too am using Firefox 82.0.2 on WIN10

any kind of network loss could cause a connection to fail to be established or delayed until recovery. any separate connection faces the traffic of the main connection and all the others. some images came in but that’s just more in the traffic burst. similar effects can just be the order of things in the HTML against the network burst demand.

i typically have things large to help my eyes. 220 sounds about right. i don’t set a number. i just enlarge it until it is easy to read.

i do, sometimes, get a “connect no response” from Google’s Gmail service. it will be several (4 to 8) in a row when it happens, then i’ll go a few days without that. i’m guessing it’s an internal failure, such as accessing a database cluster or load balancing issues. i kill the browser and retry rather fast so that might be the issue with them. when i want to check my mail, i want it “now”.

Have you tried to empty your cache?

I wonder if your preferences for Discourse are causing extra load?

It looks like it is serving the CSS but having problems delivering the content within the timeout limits specified.

(BTW, have you set the Interface preferences to largest text?)

My guess is that you are using different settings that the rest of us and, since those settings are causing the server to take longer to collate dynamic content for delivery, you get timeouts that we won’t see.

I do not see a Reset to Default in the Discourse site prefs.

Also, most of the time, I use the Discourse App rather that the webbrowser to retrieve content. That SEEMS to include some of the interface overhead. But I think it mostly organizes monitoring of the topic updates in the 3 discourse powered sites that I visit.

i emptied everything, including cache.

i don’t know of any settings. i didn’t set anything. does the app come as open-source that i can build for amd64 Ubuntu?

Just looked and noticed you haven’t even ID’d your OS or Gramps version in your profile. So I guess you haven’t chosen a different landing page?

Perhaps our @gramps-project can reset your account? Just to see if something hadn’t been corrupted on the initialization.

Xubuntu 18.04.5 LTS bionic last upgraded 2020-11-01 and 5.1.3 although i don’t know how the Gramps version impacts the browser accessing the web site. the browser is Firefox 82.0.

Actually, I mention that you hadn’t specified those in your profile because they are usually the FIRST preferences change. (The forum automation actively presents those and suggests that you customize.)

If people haven’t customized the profile, they usually haven’t dug into the other, more obscure, preferences. The more deeply you change preferences, the more likely you are to run across something that is less-tested.

i don’t know anything about preferences. the buttons on the upper-right don’t show a gear icon (the usual for settings and preferences in a GUI or web site).

It doesn’t matter right now. Since you didn’t change them, they aren’t a factor in the problem you’re trying to resolve.

https://gramps.discourse.group/my/preferences/interface

(Although that also says you did not run through the tutorial proffered when you joined. )

May it be that you have Noscript or any other .js scriptblocker installed as an extention/add-in for your browser and that this site has been added to a block list in one of those?

The problem with that idea (and my suggestion of a preferences problem) is that his issue is intermittent. And that it is infrequent.

Maybe there is a high load fallback setting in the configuration?

Although from the screenshot, the failure is in not showing the header text of the threads. And that could be either not populating, or, setting the text typeface color to white instead of black.

The first is the server not delivering from the database, the 2nd is a potential CSS error.

My worry would be that the Discourse database might be teetering on the edge of acceptable Query response performance. Most of the time it delivers within the timeout limits. But sometimes (maybe when burdened by simultaneous extra users) it misses that window.

Am I correct in recalling the first private trial of the forum were in Sep 2019? Maybe the database needs periodic maintenance? Maybe a database pack & re-index? Maybe a server reboot?