Time of creation

Hi everyone. Is there a way I can see the date I created / modified an element (person, note, etc) in Gramps?

Thanks!

The creation timestamp is part of the object’s handle. Here’s an example of how to decode it using SQL.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer. I assume then that there’s no way to access this info / filter elements based on time criteria directly from Gramps, not even with an add on, isn’t it?

I think it should be possible to use Python to code a new filter rule that could be use in custom filters. With more effort, a “Created” column could be added to the views. But no, nothing out-of-the-box, as far as I know.

1 Like

There is. In each of the Categoary Views showing tables, you can add more columns to the table. A common column you can add is the “Last Changed” data.

Use the “Configure…” option in the View menu. This opens the Column Editor where you can add available columns.

Note: remember to click the Apply button before Close

You may also want to use the Last Modified Addon. (It won’t work with the old BSDDB database engine from Gramps 5.0 and earlier.)

Thanks both, using the column editor to activate “Last changed” works great (I wish there was also a “Created” colum to choose)

I’m loving this program :slight_smile:

After looking through the Gramps Data Model diagram and some developer docs, I see no mention of calls for a separate Creation Date timestamp.

I believe the Last Changed datestamp is absolutely needed to control the session-level commits to the Tree database. It is part of the support for an Undo queue. A Creation date isn’t needed for any other feature. (The base Last Changed date timestamp IS initailized with the creation date.)

1 Like

You can change the tab order. By default the first column is sorted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.