The Ctrl-J "Jump to" Gramps ID feature

I am looking for advice on where to insert something in the wiki.

Serge added a fix in 5.1.6 to patching the broken Jump-To feature in the Families category view. The dialog would appear but the Status bar always reported “Error: ___ is not a valid Gramps ID” even for valid IDs. And it failed to change the selected Family.

I was completely oblivious to this feature until a similar feature was being discussed as an enhancement to the Select Object dialogs. The problem in Families was only noticed when testing to see which views supported the feature.

The Jump-To feature is mentioned so briefly in the Person navigation that I can no longer even find that note. And it is listed in the table of Keybindings. But the feature is mostly overlooked in the wiki.

Note that the Jump To section in the wiki was slightly enhanced for 5.2

The feature could probably be fit in the documentation around using the Ctrl-F for finding records. It is similar to Find except that it is not interactive and ONLY works on the ID field rather than the current sorting column. And it works in some “non-list” views.

Is anyone using this feature? Are there “use cases” that should be mentioned?

I use the Ctrl-J option but mostly in one of the People views.

It occurs when exploring another area of the database a question arises about a person’s connection to the object. I would navigate through the object’s associated Reference tabs to find the person’s ID. Then going to a people view (most often Relationships) then using Ctrl-J to jump to the person.

In that case, I tend to open the Referenced Object by double-clicking the row. Then use the right-click context menu at the top-center of the dialog to “Make Active Person”. No need to transcribe IDs. (Dragging their Name to the Clipboard gives more options. But unfortunately, you cannot drag directly from References to the Clipboard,)

On the other hand, that Jump To ID transcription technique would work well for the Associations tab… since you can see the Person’s ID but cannot get to the Person Editor from those row listings.

The Jump-To feature is fast because the Gramps ID field is indexed. It should be quite easy to make it available on any navigation view.

1 Like

The “Jump To” works in every view except the Geography and Dashboard views. The variations there and in the target ID make it an extra challenge to insert neatly into the wiki.

Several views (People, Relationship, Charts) jump to Person IDs while the others jump to IDs for the category of the View. There’s no GUI indicator of the ID pattern expected … such as the ID of the currently active record or the category in the text of the dialog. (Sometimes, the list view has been scrolled so the active record is not centered in the view in the view. So automatically inserting the active record ID … similarly to how the active record ID is inserted in the Edit Note’s new link dialog… would have an extra benefit. Jumping to the currently active record could do the re-center when this happens.)

The Dashboard isn’t really a data view about a particular record ID. (Although a couple of the Dashboard gramplets do focus on the Home Person.)

Is it viable to enhance the “Jump to” in the following 3 ways:

• indicate the category for the “Jump To” dialog
  • default to have the ID of the active record in the category (if none active, default to ID of latest changed record)
    Feature request 9825
  • if the Jump To button is clicked and the ID is the active record, scroll to that record anyway
    bug 12910

In family view, the ID must begin with “F”. You can’t set a person ID or anything else.

Of course, that is the default. If the user creates custom IDs or changes the ID preferences, the pattern might be different. And the Jump To is flexible enough to allow that.

If you are saying that Jump To cannot jump to a different category by using the Gramps ID, that’s true. (Logical, since the Active Person is used for several Categories.)