Svgwrite and linechartview install problem (gramps 5.1.5 on Ubuntu-mate 22.10)

Hello,

I am running gramps 5.1.5 on ubuntu-mate 22.10. I have installed networkx and svgwrite. For example . . .

"craig@wild-dog:~$ pip install svgwrite
Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not writeable
Requirement already satisfied: svgwrite in ./.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages (1.4.3)
craig@wild-dog:~$ pip install networkx
Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not writeable
Requirement already satisfied: networkx in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (2.4)
"
I am having a tough time getting the life line chart installed. - When gramps starts, it complains as follows.

“Failed to load the required module svgwrite version 1.4. . . .”

Choosing the “download module” button seems to work, but the chart is not available. Upon a restart of gramps, the same dialog box appears.

Perhaps the module is in the wrong location?

Some guidance would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Craig Rhombs

Does giving the packages writeable permissions to install correctly not work for you? eg sudo pip install svgwrite

I believe that button is only useful for people on Microsoft?

Thanks for the reply. - I looked at permissions & I see nothing suspicious compared to other python modules. Tried installing with sudo, and that did not change the situation. However, invoking gramps from the command line did yield another bit of info - the complaint is coming from line157 of lifelinechartview.gpr.py. See below.

craig@wild-dog:~$ gramps
2022-11-24 08:42:05.410: WARNING: lifelinechartview.gpr.py: line 157: LifeLineChartView: Failed to load the required module svgwrite version 1.4.

I’ll try to approach it from that point of view if I can find that bit of code. It sure looks like a permissions issue.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

I see that there is an new open issue (number 12753) on this. See 0012753: [Life Line Chart View] Cannot start Gramps after upgrade to Jammy Jellyfish ubuntu -just get error box related to missing module - Gramps - Bugtracker – Free Genealogy Software

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.