Split shared events

Is there a way or addon that will take shared events and convert them to individual events for each person. When I export a gedcom, it only records the primary event and drops the other people sharing event say when working with census records.

I need some expansion on your question.

Are you using form data for the Census data? (I have very limited experience with how it stores data.) And what program are you using to import the data?

But an underlying problem is that GEDCOM 5.5.1 doesn’t handle Role data well. It is one of the design flaws that caught a lot of flak over the years. The only option to communicate an event Role is oddly in the Source structure! That’s addressed in GEDCOM7

Note that the GEDCOM Extensions and GedcomforGeneanet addons were written to support exporting Witness roles and Associations respectively. Both targeted Geneanet.

1 Like

You might also want to read the comment by @Nick-Hall in the Forms development thread by @RenTheRoot about how GEDCOM7 uses the ASSOciation tag to handle Roles that are not Primary or Family.

What I was asking is for any event that is shared, on export to gedcom, only the primary is exported but not anyone who marked with something else. I was looking for a way to split the shared event into individual event for each person. This would make it easier to send a gedcom to someone else who isn’t using gramps to be able to import without losing events.

You only need to export the event once under the person/family with the primary role. Participants with a non-primary role can be linked back using ASSO tags.

1 Like

The only way to duplicate the Events for the GEDCOM export would be (on a disposable back copy of the Tree) to change the Roles to “Primary” for People Events and to “Family” for Families Events.

That’s probably best done with a SuperTool script that adds the non-standard Role to the Event description before changing it.

There’s an example script that splits Residence Events so there’s a Duplicate for each Citation.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.