Solved Bächlingen showing as Bächlingen

Connie,

I have had the same problems as you regarding the CSV from Gramps, but for some reason it has not been any pattern in it that I have managed to find… sometime it opens correct, sometimes the double- byte chatacters are wrong, as if they are exxported in a combination of windows default and utf-8…

Changing it to UTF-8 with BOM in Notepad++ has nearly always solved it with the files from Gramps, but I have had other CSV files that has been reported as UTF-8 in notepad and first after I convert them they shows up correct…

Two of them was because of depricated libraries (this had nothing to do with Gramps, but the problem was identical).

having the correct BOM in there should make in work in all coding environments. way back when Unicode suggested having 16 bit coding for its 16 bit characters i felt a gut punch regarding the byte order issue. i have done some assembly programming on PDP-11 computers and remember the issues all to well just for numbers. then when they went to larger codes, another gut punch because now there are 3 different byte orders for 32-bit values. UTF-8 was the way that just worked well, but Microsoft hadn’t chosen it (in general, though Window can work with it). if programs always do I/O as 8-bit with UTF-8 encoding they can be portable. Python2 could do it and Python3 does it by default. Linux systems only have 8-bit I/O on x86 computers.

Yes its lot of problems regarding this on Windows Computers…

The latest Windows 10 can be set to use UTF-8 and also have a feature to set UTF-8 for any “Legacy” software, but that really mess things up…

I ried that with Legacy familtree (it is not a unicode programmed software), and even though they use a jet database (jet has been unicode/utf-8 enabled for years now), all the data with double byte characters are a mess…

sadly there are still to many libraries and scripts (even Pyton and JAVA libraries) that are coded with CP-1252 or ISO/IEC 8859-1:1998…

And when a library like that are used on a system (software, OS, etc) that use an unicode codepage, there will be a lot of mess…

I don’t know if that the case with the CSV export from Gramps, or IF there are some problem with Openrefine, I don’t use Libre-/Open Office for this, so for my part it has to be some other library.

I have had the same problem when exporting some Graphviz files from a few other software, and after some investigating it was the vis.js library that was the problem…

Same happen with the graphviz import to cytoscape, that add-on use a aged library, and couldn’t support utf-8.

The same thing has happened a few times for me with the CSV’s from Gramps, but I have not been able to find where the problem actually are, if it is the export or if it is the import to the different software I use. Only thing I know is if the file is opened in Notepad++ and set to utf-8 with bom, or converted if the first doesn’t work (even though the file is reported as utf-8), it usually import to any of the software without problems… but the problem is that this is also true for files edited in Excel and saved as utf-8…

A while back I asked if there could updates the D3.js libraries for some of the reports and graphs, because the library in use was like 4-5 years old (or more, don’t remember) and there was some known security problems with them and it was done.

Maybe it would be an idea to do a check and do an update of all libraries in Gramps that export- or create content that can be output to both text and graphical text files (i.e. graphviz)?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.