Simple Starter question about data input - how?

and yet another approach…
I find the add-on DataEntry Gramplet is a quick way to enter repetitive data. You’ll have to download & install it.

Create a Source with the hand-drawn chart as the Citation.

• I find it useful to Clipboard the Citations and Places I use repeatedly in a session. This doesn’t matter as much in a new Tree. With such a lightly populated list, you can just switch Category Views to leverage drag’n’drop. When the list becomes more heavily populated, that isn’t a workable shortcut anymore.

Start the Tree by creating that base person making certain to add Birth & Death Events that include Places and Citations for each Event.

• I once started a Tree by exporting the person’s vCard from my smart phone’s Address book & importing it into Gramps. However, the phone only exported v2.1 vCard and the Gramps importer only reads v3.0 version. So there was a little conversion shenanigans involved.
  • Note that you can re-define this Citation later when you’re more comfortable with Gramps. Don’t stress about making this Citation perfect right now. So long as it is the same Citation added to each, your later corrections will flow through to everywhere it was used.

Add the DataEntry Gramplet to the Relationships sidebar and detach it (by dragging the title tab off the sidebar). As you select a different Active Person in the Relationship view, the top section updates. Choose ‘Copy Active Data’ to use that person as a template (including Places & Sources). Change the New Person to “Add as a Sibling”, revise the data that differs, and click the Add button.

Repeat with the other persons on your hand-drawn chart, changing ‘Add relation’ as needed.

2 Likes