Right to Left in Gramplets and addons

While testing add-ons translations, I keep running into add-ons that are not handling RTL properly. @Nick-Hall (and long ago, Rob) already fixed a few (Welcome, Prerequisite-checker…) but this 3 i’ve completed translating ‘placecleanup’, ’ PlaceCleanup’, and ‘PlaceCoordinateGramplet’ seems to aligne both side too

My question is, is there a way to set an Auto RTL mechanism for all addons/gramplets rather than tweak them one by one?

GRAMPS: 5.2.0-rc1-14870e658 
Python: 3.10.12 (main, Jun 11 2023, 05:26:28) [G... 
BSDDB: 6.2.9 (5, 3, 28) 
sqlite: 3.37.2 (2.6.0)
LANG: he_IL.UTF-8
Dist: 5.15.0-83-generic

The Welcome gramplet appears to have a few headings aligned incorrectly. I’ll investigate.

I can’t see any Hebrew translations for the Prerequisites Checker or the Place Coordinate gramplet.

The Place Cleanup gramplet looks OK, but I can’t read Hebrew. You will have to point out what is wrong with it.

To solve the problems in the Welcome gramplet, try putting a right-to-left mark (RLM) character before the strings “Example.gramps” and “Start with Genealogy and Gramps” in your translation.

I could add them in the code after every bullet point, but this may have unwanted side-effects.

1. https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/blob/12d7c868dd3c748b036d17c9a7665ab7d7c435c9/PrerequisitesCheckerGramplet/po/he-local.po

2. https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/commit/7a0bc460d4ac804411d5ef3d03408d1d627e9651

I only pushed #2 a few seconds ago (stopped pushing them, thinking we better figure out the RTL issue first)

1 Like

the field marked “1” should probably be auto direction (if input in he then RTL else LTR)

This isn’t actually an RTL issue. The dialog looks the same LTR.

It doesn’t conform to our UI guidelines, so it wouldn’t be accepted into core Gramps without some changes. However, we do accept contributions like this into the third-party addons repository.

The headings centred over the fields is unusual for Gramps and the spacings between widgets are inconsistent. I also agree that the placing of the “Latitude” and “Longitude” labels is weird. They are not even aligned to the edges of the widgets below them.

The auto direction of text in the entry widgets should be handled by Gtk without any extra code needed from us.

So I Guess it’s not maintained by the author any longer… Well then, I’m on the next :wink: ne

and BTW you were right of course regarding GTK, it is also broken in Nemo, (resizing columns after a search action also does strange stuff).
[GtkColumnView doesn't work well with RTL (#6049) · Issues · GNOME / gtk · GitLab]

1 Like

@emyoulation @Nick-Hall

A nice stack of he.po files is starting to pile up at GitHub - gramps-project/addons-source: Contributed 3rd party plugins for Gramps.
Do I also need to push them somewhere? Or are they being transferred periodically similar to translations from Weblate?

I’ve just redone the Place Cleanup Gramplet. It should be better than it was. Please take a look. Built and published.

2 Likes

It looks like Nick built/published updates for the he.po translations on 2023-09-17.