Replacing media

Hi all. I did a dumb thing and certainly learned my lesson. I lost my hard drive with no back up for the media but I had the data on a flash drive so thank goodness. I am in process of trying to replace the media and have something strange going on. Before the latest windows update yesterday I was able to copy the title for the media when I tracked it down again and make sure it was in the same directory to have success. Sometimes I would have to go do a different tab or view and back again for it to show. But now, it isnā€™t showing at all unless I add it and then merge the two, which adds more time to this very aggravating task. I donā€™t think I dare to just delete the earlier one because some images I have in more than one personā€™s gallery. I tried closing and reopening Gramps but no change.Any idea what I can do to make this more painless.?

GRAMPS: AIO64-5.1.6-1
Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37) ā€¦
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_US.UTF-8

If the new media files are exactly the same as the lost files, check out the Media Verify addon tool. It works off of the mediaā€™s checksum which Gramps stores in the background.

One issue is if you have ever edited the raw file (most notably cropped) the checksums will no longer agree. They may not agree if the host of the originals have done any manipulation.

Media Verify works off of the base relative media path stored with the database and set in Preferences.

Another tool to try is the Thumbnail Generator.

1 Like

Thanks Dave. The thumbnail generator didnā€™t make any difference and the verify tool wonā€™t work either because I modify a lot and have no way to crop exactly the same as before. But, I find it hard to believe everything Iā€™ve collected today isnā€™t the same as what I had before. But, I even have had to change the path on some and those worked. It must have something to do with the update.

@Connie, are you using English language User Interface for Gramps? And what is your logged in user name on Windows? (trying to find out if there are any non-ascii characters in the user name)

Hi there Lordemannd. I donā€™t recall setting a language and canā€™t find it in Preferences. I donā€™t have a user name on Windows. Iā€™m owner.

The only reason to ask for Windows User name is to investigate if there are any ā€œinternationalā€ characters in the file Path to the Gramps data directories/folders. Which are stored under the user name. Usually they would exist at this path:
"C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\gramps\"
You may have them somewhere else. Iā€™m just checking to see if there are any ā€˜internationalā€™ characters in the full path.

Thanks @lordemannd. No international characters. It is "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\gramps"

OK, we can rule out the international issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.