Problems with full screen view on macOS

Gramps 5.1.1 - iMac Ventura 13.2.1
Ever since moving to a new Mac, my Gramps software only opens in full screen.
Unfortunately, for around half the times it opens, the “Exit Full Screen” button is not visible. Nor is the Toolbar above it. I have to force close Gramps and try again.

The “save on exit” Gramps settings option is always on and I never close with a full screen view. Yet it always opens in full screen view.

I have not yet found a default setting in Gramps or Safari that specifies full screen on opening.
Also, on my Mac, this full screen opening seems only to happen with Gramps. I have not seen it with other programs.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

That sounds like you’ve used the macOS ‘maximize’ feature.

Read this “exit full screen mode” article. (Found a video that had the info too but the presenter was nearly incoherent.)

Note that I once had a similar problem in the Windows version of Gramps where my virtual screen size on a dual monitor setup become corrupted. And Gramps saved corrupted .ini values for the invalid screen positions in the gramps.ini and view modes.

After that, I was stuck. Since the values were corrupted, Gramps couldn’t validate that .ini chunk during the read. Since Gramps needed to read the chunk to overwrite, all the overwrite attempts failed.

I finally deleted ALL the view mode .INIs (3 for each view category) and hand-edited the gramps.ini file to eliminate the screen position chunk.

Thanks for that tip.
I also didn’t know about the keyboard shortcut. I use them quite a lot, but didn’t know that one. It helps a lot.
Cheers

1 Like