Pls enhance Descendant Report to describe atypical relationships

I really like the dependency report for showing a lot of info in a compact manor. There has been a bit of confusion and perhaps angst over not specifying the type of partner (ie married, unmarried,… maybe oo, +, … instead of the language dependant sp.) and relationship to father/mother (ie adopted, step, foster…)

That report name is not familiar. There may be a Translation problem. (Are you running Gramps in German?) Could you tell us the exact report name and menu path?

Perhaps it is:
Reports → Text Reports → Descendant Report… or maybe the Detailed Descendant Report ?

Sorry, Descendant Report.

Yes under text report.

Blended family relationships are complicated. The nature of the relationship requires evaluating unbalanced 3 person connections

Biological, foster and adoptive families are easier because there would be the same relationship between both parents and the child.

But how would you list any children with asymmetrical relationships to the parents of a family?

I think you would have to define want the expected output would be. And provide that with the enhancement request.

Anyone adapting the report would have to decide if they could determine all those relationships AND report the relationship in a linear fashion.

@Paffy , thanks for posting your question; it made me take a fresh look at the report.

Regarding two of your points:

Actually, the report does say whether the couple were married (the Relationship Type of the Family) and if so, when and where (the details from the Family’s Marriage event, if there is one).

That would be a helpful addition, though I’m not sure of the best way to do it. The information could be different for each child in the family.

One enhancement that might be useful for some research purposes would be a option to include only biological children (of both parents). That’s not to say that the other children are unimportant, but just that there might be some applications (for example DNA analysis) in which they are not relevant.

From a different angle, it’s also always worth keeping in mind that a “family” (a set of people related to each other through their parents) is not the same as a “household” (a set of people who actually lived together at some point in time).

Thanks for your consideration.

A lack of marriage date/place may be a lack of knowledge rather than an unmarried state.

I have no idea how to show a matrix family efficiently.

Yes. Just to be clear, the information about “married” or “unmarried” comes from the relationship type of the family, which you can set as you wish (including other values); see here.

It is set, but not reflected in the report.

I’m sorry, I was referring to the Detailed Descendant Report, not the Descendant Report. And the Detailed one is perhaps still not as detailed as you might want; it prints “Spouse:” if the relationship type is “Married”, and it prints “Relationship with:” for all other values.