Person Delete in Gramps Web

Hi,

I am successfully using Gramps Web to edit, and create people. Also syncing with Gramps Web Synch.

BUT cannot find a way to delete a person in Gramps Web.

SO I deleted the person from my desktop instance and did a synch. Synch identifies a deleted change on the local, but when I click on apply I get a blank summary page. It I think the synch again the same record shows up to be deleted.

Two questions:

1. Is there a delete feature in Gramps Web and I am overlooking it?
  2. Why is the synch not deleting the entry from Gramps Web?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

object deletion is indeed not yet possible from the web interface, see Delete Objects · Issue #119 · gramps-project/Gramps.js · GitHub. But the blocking point to add it has been removed recently.

Sync should definitely propagate the delete though. Can you please provide all the details with versions, screenshots, etc.?

Hi David,

I was running 5.1.3, but upgraded based on your question; still the same result. Is it possible this is something on the Gramps Web configuration?

Current version:
GRAMPS: AIO64-5.1.6-1
Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37) …
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8

Id: gramps_web_sync
Description: Synchronizes a local database with a Gramps Web instance.
Version: 1.0.2
Authors: David Straub
Email: straub@protonmail.com
Filename: webapisync.py

Hi David,

I found the error. I had to clean up my gramps database and run the “Check and repair database” utility before the initial synch with Gramps Web. Apparently some corruption in the DB was causing the errors.

This might be a good add for new users. Make sure your Gramps DB is error free before starting to use Gramps Web.

Thank you,

Chris

You’re absolutely right. I don’t know why this is not mentioned in the documentation yet. It is actually crucial.

I am running a test instance of gramps web on unix server via docker and I have a number of duplicates of a person after testing imports.
I ran gramps desktop (windows 11) use gramps web sync plugin to pull down the data from the web instance and merged all the duplicates down. I chose to sync back and it just jumps to blank ‘Summary’ web sync plugin.
In the web sync plugin docs it says to use import and merge but if I merge people on my device and upload it to gramps web it only adds more duplicates.

I ran check and repair database the first time I tried to sync and now re-ran it again and still does not help.

Not a solution but a workaround:

Clean up the data on your workstation, flush/delete the online tree, update Gramps Web on the server, and reupload new tree from the workstation.

(Maybe you could rename the online tree instead of deleting it, then upload a new instance. This would you allow to still answer any question David will ask and run experiments he requests.)

@PovilasID I’m afraid this is a bit too vague to debug what is going wrong.

Do you suspect the import created the duplicates? What did you import? Which file format?

Note that Gramps Web & Desktop use the exact same Python function to import a file…