Occupation event and Place

So when a person has a Occupation at a company, how is the best way to put the company name and place? (when both company name and street address is known)

• Have Company name in description (together with role) and have place be street address enclosed by city and so on.
  • Have Company name as a place, enclosed by street address and then city or similar and so on.
  • Have street address enclosed by the company name and then city or similar and so on.
  • Just have Company name enclosed by city or similar and so on.

I build the place hierarchy:

… City, Street, Number, Church/Hospital/Building/Cemetery, etc

The omitting of the comma between Number and Street will still work when the name of what is at the address follows.

If the institution existed before 1900, I add the city to the Enclosed by tab and add “after 1899”.This omits the street information for the earlier dates or no date for the event.

What if a building or company is on multiple plots of land next to eachother, just have it on the “main” one?

I would use either the “Billing” address, where the mail goes to, or omit the Number and just go with the Street name.

And remember, the final place record can only have one set of GPS coordinates. I bring this up because sometimes a Business/Church, etc moves. My parents were married in a church in 1954. By the time my sister got married in the same church it was in a new location. I could have put the one church record with multiple address enclosed by paths. The problem was which GPS coordinates. The original church building was sold to another church so that building changed names.

The GPS coordinates of a place record refers to a spot on Earth. The Gramps place record names that spot.

The new church record has a link back to its original address.

That’s my preference.

If you don’t have done reseaches about that company, you could add the date you know to the enclosed by field associated to the street address and the citation where you have found it to the place. The date will match event that place will be associated to.

When reading what you people wrote, yeah, it makes sense.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.