Not a Gramps topic, but a Graph/Timeline question

There are a lot of knowledgeable people in this group, anyone that know about a software that can create a combination of a timeline/ network graph where Events can be connected visually and spread the events in the timeline with the dates given (something like a combination of timelines.js and openproject) …
All the software solutions I have found so far can not create combined graphs/diagrams…

I know I can create something like this in d3.js, and some of the graph libraries for pythong, but I’m not a developer…

I also know that Palladio, have some of the functionality, but I was just wandering if anyone know about some other software doing this…

Any of the Project software can, but none of them support historical dates…

Anyone done something like this in i.e. yEd or Gephy?

Yes, I think it is possible in yEd or similar programs, if your data is like this:

• a node for each event

• a node for each date

• an edge between each event and its date (source = event, target = date)

• an edge between each date and the next chronological date (source = earlier date, target = later date)

Then use a “hierarchical” layout.

With yEd (and probably other software) you can have different properties (shape, size, color, etc.) for the different types of nodes and edges.

yes, I have thought of that way of doing it, but one problem with that is that it will not be “dynamic”, i.e. if one even are 30 days long and the next are jus a milestone, also the dynamic range between events will be difficult to set…

I can do that in draw.io-desktop, VUE, Visio and similar diagram software, but I was hoping someone knew some software where I could maybe import a CSV or json…

I know it can be done manually in graphviz, and in plot.ly, but it was the thing about creating something without knowledge of programming…
… so maybe graphviz is the closest I can come… using an export from Gramps as “base” data…

Thanks for the suggestion though, I know yEd can import gedcoms and create graphs out of it… maybe it is possible to create some kind of a timeline to… even though I haven’t found any timeline function i yEd, yet…

1 Like

I found this one on github:

https://timelinestoryteller.com/

The web version takes input from csv, json, or Google spreadsheet.

Many more examples here:

https://timelinesrevisited.github.io/

2 Likes

Yes, I have looked at that and it does a lot of what I’m asking for… BUT, untill now I thought it only was available on the Power BI platform, and in P-BI desktop, I have not found any way to export to anything but pictures or to the P-BI platform…
The P-BI software is great, but the free version has some limitations, just as the free version of Tableau has…

I shall look at the github pages for the web version and see if it is something that is possible to use on “own domain”,

I would really like to find something that can be used as a research tool and where I don’t need to recreate the project every time I get new data…

My usage of this type of timelines/graph is to find relations between people and events regardless of familiar realtions…

Its possible to register all that in Gramps, but it is a little more diffucult to show it in a Network Grahp that shows cross relations and connections between people, events, places and documents in a graphical view…

I have found many solutions that can do all this, but either it is a web library and you need a degree in webdesign and dev to get it up running, or you need a degree in Linux OS commandline tools to get it up running…
(I really really wish I could get into the magic of python and js programming)…

I tried out the timelinestoryteller again in PowerBI, and it can not create connections between Events, it has a few other nice graphic, but for the free version you can either export to an image or pdf, or you need to publish to the powerbi platform…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.