Non-docker version

Any plans for a non-docker version?

There are already pre-installed instances: a Digital Ocean droplet or a GrampsHub account.

Or you can reverse-engineer a Docker Image.

Would either of these suffice?

Thanks. Appreciate there are other options. I was planning to self host but docker always makes me shudder with its unnecessary complication if things go wrong. Maybe I am old school but I’ve seen so many issues.

I’ve since spun up a VM and installed using docker.

1 Like

Anything you can do to help tweak the setup guide would be appreciated.

When David first made his project public, there was a lot of confusion until the dock image was made available. A lot of that cleared up with the docker and the droplet.

The projects technical side was probably evolving too quickly to document the technical side anyway. But more than 6 months after the v1 release, it may be time to re-visit.

But David’s time can be more productive doing enhancements and and bug fixes. He’s built a LOT of documentation. Like happened in the main Gramps-project fork, end-users can improve the docs from experimentation and find hidden bugs at the same time. And they can do the general tech support. (Although developers often had to step in for complex issues.)

@justdaj, there is no need for a separate version - Docker ist just a convenient (IMO) way to wrap the necessary components, but you can look at the Dockerfile to see what you would have to do to deploy “manually” on a Linux system. However, in that case, you would also need additional precautions to get an extra level of encapsulation, e.g. using a virtualenv rather than install the Python packages system-wide. And this does not even include the configuration of the reverse proxy and SSL certificate yet. So it’s certainly possible, but it requires expert knowledge, and since it’s more error-prone than using the Docker Compose based setup, I wouldn’t recommend it to an average user.

1 Like

I’m sure we could debate Docker all day long. It’s great when it works, but when it goes wrong it easily falls apart – that’s my experience.

However, the good news is I was able to fire up a server quickly using Docker. I’d like to work on some enhanced documentation as there is a lot of assumed knowledge, which some will find it daunting. Whereas, it can be up and live very quickly if they wanted t self-host

1 Like

That “assumed knowledge” is exactly what needs to documented. After 5.2 of Gramps desktop is released, there will be months of user docs to add. That means Gramps Web is unlikely to be able daught WikiContributors from the desktop project. (Athough I’d love to play with the RaspberryPi installation before next summer’s family reunion season.) New contributors will be needed to adopt Gramps Web.

I’d love to help with the documentation for Web.

What’s RaspPi 11 ? :thinking:

It is a typo! You have to love smartphone virtual keyboards. Where being “all thumbs” is the status quo.

I’m firing up a Pi just now. I’m wondering if it would be possible to provide a partially build ISO with grampsweb ready to configure. We shall see how I get on

David did a docker image for a Raspberry Pi.

But are you talking about having Gramps on the OS microSD card so that the Pi autoboots into Gramps Web? (I hope, I hope!) Then have User Directory, Media & database folder on a thumbdrive?

I was thinking that it would be sweet to have a Gramps Web Pi at family reunions as a headless local WiFi hotspot (with no Internet).

Print QR code sheet for linking a page to sign-in & uploading a selfie, another for uploading photos of the event (that will be face detected & shared), and one to find Reunion’s progenitors page on Gramps Web.

we shall see how I progress. I had not thought of having the data on a thumbdrive

I think you could also have a PortableApps Gramps, a macOS Gramps on the thumbdrive too. (Un-aware of whether a portable Linux version installs as easily.) So you’d have thumbdrive you could plug into most kinds of computer for intensive operation on the more comprehensive desktop version. Or share more superficial data to mobile devices or multiple users.