New HeatMap Gramplet

Hi,

I’ve just installed the above gramplet and an error message is displayed to indicate that the map_header.txt file is missing from the template sub-directory.

Also there is a mis-match between the gramplet version installed and the screen shots in the wiki version.

JS

GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-5.1.3-1
Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37) …
sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8

The documentation was written for the 1.0.0 version of the Heat Map gramplet. What version of the Gramplet are you using? (You can check with the Info feature of the plugin Manager.)

The the first version was just released a few months ago. Gramps does not make it easy to keep track of add-on updates … either in installation or plugin management. Just looked at this plugin’s commits at GitHub. It looks like Matt added features on the 21st & 24th of January. Paul released the commits around the 19th of February.

Since wiki documentation is the responsibility of volunteers, we need help. (Please don’t suggest shifting the burden back to a developer. Most programmers hate user doc writing. Many would just stop sharing their work! Besides, in the Conversation section Matt has added docs to GitHub.)

You could upload current screen shots to the wiki even if you don’t want to write. It would prompt one of the people helping edit the wiki to review the docs.

I may have to ‘disappear’ for a bit. Discovered yesterday that cellular data limits came crashing down this billing cycle… an 80% cut! So no downloading of updates or uploading of images for me over the next month.

Returning to my house last month was quite a comedown after house-sitting for 6 months with unmetered service.

version 1.0.1

And yes I am well aware of programmers’ aversions. In a previous life I had an IT Quality role. I was pointing out the discrepancy for information, not a criticism.

1 Like

I tried it and got this error.

heatmap error

The path I set for the output was:

c:\users\public\genealogy\HeatMap
with the File name test

And so there is no confusion, I have my plugin directory in a customized location:

c:\users\public\genealogy\gramps\gramps51\plugins\

There is no template folder in the plugins directory.

@emyoulation FYI, version 1.0.1 came down as a new available addon 2/21

1 Like

It seems that the template folder got lost during building process of the compressed addon file. It needs to be build again and uploaded to the github repo, so your Gramps can download a working version (this will probably be version 1.0.2 then).

2 Likes

Just ran a series of experiments. The “Start zoom” option on the Advanced tab seems to be ignored unless the “Enable map limits” is selected on the Limits tab.

Created a blank “%AppData%\gramps\gramps51\plugins\Heatmap\template\map_header.txt” file. That didn’t make a usable HTML file. So, added the missing prefacing bits from a working previous test. Worked great. (The earlier map_header.txt file)

Also, just because the double-backslash vs slash in the path looked weird. Changed line 361 of the heatmap.py from
        res_path = os.path.dirname(__file__) + "/template/"
to
        res_path = os.path.dirname(__file__) + "\\template\\"

Manually downloaded the template directory and its files. All works great.

1 Like

I’ve done likewise and can confirm working OK.

Great stuff, Matt, can’t wait for being able to select events as well!

I know, users never satisfied…

1 Like

Looks like the author forgot to include the MANIFEST file with the contents of anything that is not in the main subdirectory or po.

I will try to get that corrected today. Naturally it worked on my machine because I had already downloaded everything prior to building, so it was not evident that the built version missed something…

I had a bit of problem with the Filter. It wasn’t polling the data I expected. And since the html heatmap doesn’t have the Geography view’s rollover links to collations of the the underlying data, I was having trouble diagnosing the problem.

Perhaps there could be an option (or companion report?) to generate a table of that underlying data?

I really like the Heatmap. It builds a nice, compact & portable file.

But I am also confused by the trend in geography visualizations for Gramps. It seems like most of the the separate view modes are really just different collations of filtered datasets. They are NOT different visualizations.

(It seems like a different visualization might be to use a spherical representation instead of a mercator projection. Or this Heat Map instead of scaled pins. Or an animated timeline instead of a static snapshot.)

The approach is making the Geography View toolbar grow unwieldy with indistinctly similar icons.

Some of the modes have features that the others lack. Like selecting a pin style for groups/categories of events (birth vs death) or colors of places (cemeteries vs township vs cities).

I’d love to see a discussion of other interface approaches to feeding datasets to the Geography view modes. It seemed like a throttled filter option with Grouping features might be an alternative.

It would be nice to be able to map different subsets of data more flexibly.

Maybe even plot a set of manually harmonized data. For instance, I would like a plot of Ancestor Births but stripped back to Nations (or province/state) instead of the overly refined hierarchical place detail. (Sometimes, I really regret adding the adding those few buildings to my place hierarchy.) So it would be nice be able to group events by Nation before feeding it to the Map.