My family tree is locked

For what it’s worth, I’ve been using Gramps on a Chromebook for several years, and the only problem I have is the drag-and-drop issue. There have been times when I had to break the lock in the usual way, and that worked fine for me.

Aside from that terminology, are there specific risks that you are aware of? I ask because I plan to use ChromeOS going forward (with adequate backups, of course), and would like to know if there are any unique dangers in using Gramps there (as compared with any other version of Linux). Initially Google described it as a “Beta” but they dropped that label a while back. I realize it does not yet support all peripherals, but I can use my network printer and my USB devices (scanner, CD/DVD storage) so it meets my needs.

The document says “You have a Debian 11 (Bullseye) environment. You can run Linux commands, install more tools using the APT package manager, and customize your shell.” (What is a “full distribution”, and how can I tell whether it’s not?) I also followed the steps in this document to install visual package management. Then I was able to easily install other end user apps such as Libre Office. The FAQ section of that link might interest you.

If the drag-and-drop issue could be fixed, then maybe more people would be interested in running Gramps on their Chrombook. :slight_smile:

2 Likes