Media file error in Ancestral Report

Gramps 5.1.5-1 Win 10

Hi all, Gramps Noob here.

I’m fighting to import a 500+ person Gedcom file which came from Genbox. Apparently in Gedcom 5.5 I’m finding numerous issues and editing the file to correct what I can. I wonder if there is interest in documenting those issues as Genbox is kind of old now. I wish it was still supported.

My current problem is that I have images (.jpg) which are visible in the Gallery for a specific individual. When I do a REPORT → TEXT --< Detailed Ancestral, I get error messages in the report saying:

Records not imported into INDI (individual) Gramps ID I0017:
Line ignored as not understood Line 523: 2 FORM JPEG
Line ignored as not understood Line 524: 2 FILE D:\geneology
\images\headstones\Mt Calvary DBQ\John Fuerst hs1.JPG
Line ignored as not understood Line 527: 2 FORM JPEG
Line ignored as not understood Line 528: 2 FILE D:\geneology
\images\Fuerst Family\John G Fuerst\fuerst_fam-1963-01.JPG

Yet these files do exist with that name & path. They are visible in the People/Gallery.

Any clue what I’m missing?

thanks

I believe these Error msgs are from the Import of the Gedcom file. No clue where the msgs reside, nor how to remove them.

Clearly the image files exist now and when People are selected, the Gallery displays the image. The report is reading the old error msgs rather than looking at the new/fixed links.

Welcome!

There’s always interest in documenting GEDCOM interchange idiosyncrasies. The Wikipage is easy to expand. And sooner or later, someone else will find it useful – even if they just use Gramps as a cleanup tool while transferring the data somewhere else.

Gramps sometimes complains when the GEDCOM is non-standard and then makes a pretty good guess about what was meant. And when the importer complains, it generally preserves the original GEDCOM line so a post-process can be applied.

You can use the Isotammi SuperTool add-on to do mass edits.

We have an example Discourse thread about using it. But Patrice (@PLegoux ) has done a lot more exploration and published lesson on the French Geneanet site.

Is it possible to use the standard editing features to search and destroy this import debris?

Will one of the “clean up” tools flush these?

thanks
Barry

Yes, there are several ways to deal with them.

First of all, you need to realize that all GEDCOM Import errors are stored in notes. And unless there is an error in the header of a GEDCOM file, these notes are always attached to the object that was being processed when an unexpected line was found. This means that you may find GEDCOM Import notes attached to persons, events, sources, media, etc. And because they are attached, they will also be added to reports, where they look like errors, but they are just notes, with error texts in them.

You can get a quick overview of these by sorting the Notes Category by type, and if you want, you can simply select all GEDCOM Import notes and delete them in one go. They may however also contain information from real notes that did not follow the GEDCOM standard, meaning that they were attached to objects that can’t have notes according to the standard. In those case, Gramps will still attach them to the higher level object it was processing, like the person.

For this reason, it is better to inspect them all, and edit them if they have useful info, and not throw all away in bulk.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I was able to clean up this mess. Unfortunately, more to come :slightly_frowning_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.