Is there anyone here who works on the webapi?

I’ve been looking at, and using, the Gramps webapi. I’d like to contribute, but I haven’t been able to find any contact details. I am a (retired but active) comms/web/python developer.

2 Likes

There are quite a few threads related to it. (The websolutions tag has been added to this thread just below the thread title. Click it to find similar queries.)

But the starting thread would be the @DavidMStraub July 2021 posting :

Or the 2020 posting by @jeff about collaborating:

1 Like

@DavidMStraub and @jeff
Is there an official cat herding organization for Gramps developers interested in contributing to web tools for Gramps?

The Deep Connections Graph gramplet by @kku and Interactive Family Tree tool by @PeWu have also done internal server implementations to drive special purpose dynamic graphing tools. Is there any way the internal server approach could be of value (say as a local testbed for Web API content) and be rolled in to a compatible architecture? It would be a shame if a 3rd developer duplicated the work to build an internal server. Particularly since there are already 2 distinctly different examples already.

Hi Jeff,

you are more than welcome to contribute, of course! In general, the Github issues are a good place to

• find known issues to help fix
  • get improvement ideas to start working on
  • suggest new improvements

Alternatively, this forum is also a good place to discuss general ideas.

Is there an official cat herding organization for Gramps developers interested in contributing to web tools for Gramps?

Not that I’m aware of. I have not had time to look at the two addons you mentioned. At the moment, the Web API can generate file-based reports (using the same code that is used for Gramps CLI).

What is still lacking at the moment is proper, dynamical web-based reports in Gramps Web. I’ve been dreaming about some D3-based stuff for a while… And yes, I think some of the existing web-based addons could be adapted for that purposes as well.

1 Like

After tagging so many websolution threads, the thought occurs that it might be worth creating a Discourse Category for about sharing Gramps content on the web. (49 websolutions threads so far. That is 2nd only to the 62 threads for 3rd party add-ons.) Then consolidating those threads there.

@gramps-project – what do you think?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.