Gramps architecture

I’m not a developer, I was but I’m not anymore since a long time now, but I’m still interested by programming. Gramps give me that interest again. And while watching python architecture YouTube videos (here or here) that basic, and newbie, question came to me:

Does gramps architecture will allow to replace its GTK interface by something else? i.e. Django or something else to use it with a web interface, just creating and replacing its interface layer by another one (web or anything else)? Does gramps is written in a way to allow this?

@DavidMStraub created gramps-webapi (=backend) and Gramsps.js (=frontend). I think everything there was just build from scratch.

1 Like

I think everything there was just build from scratch.

The frontend was written from scratch, but the backend uses the Gramps Python library as its foundation and “only” adds the web stuff on top. So I would answer this question

Does gramps architecture will allow to replace its GTK interface by something else?

with yes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can Gramps reports, tools and addons also be used with the gramps-webapi?

Can Gramps reports, tools and addons also be used with the gramps-webapi?

Some yes others no depending on what they are.

All text based reports work but some of the others don’t if I recall. HTML ones are not supported, at least at the moment, as did not seem to make sense to when you’re using a web frontend like Gramps.js anyway. All the exporters can be called, the filters interface has been exposed as well as the relationship and living person calculators.

Best thing to do is check the Git repository main page and click on Gramps API Docs to review the swagger API online to see what is available:

David has really done a fantastic job with both it and Gramps.js

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.