Installed 5.2.2 and lost tree?

V 5.2.2 installed today on WIndows 11 laptop
Had not used Gramps in a while and updated.
WHen it opens I do not see my old Family Tree.
I did copy (and think made backup) into another folder but am confused on how to import it OR do I need to move some of my backup files (which ones) to a Gramps directory area?

Thanks.

Making a backup should be the last thing done before upgrading. If you did not uninstall your previous version of Gramps, you should be able to able to still load it and see which database engine is in use. And to make a backup. If you already DID uninstall , there are PortableApps versions for Windows that will let you load BSDDB database files and make backups.

Also, you might have had preferences to a different database path? And maybe you hadn’t converted from BSDDB to SQLlite?

Which version of Gramps were you using previously? SQLite database engine became an option with Gramps 5.0 and became the default in the 5.1 version.

I used 5.2 before. I actually got a new computer and moved everything over. I had copied a bunch of the Gramps files.
When I open 5.2 on the new computer the default Family does not show up.

Ah I figured it out… I just double clicked on my Backup (I found it) and it opened in the new version of GRamps.
Thanks

1 Like

I am working on Windows 10, not 11. Let’s hope that doesn’t make a difference.

Gramps 5.2 looks for a default database path of:
C:Users\<username>\AppData\Local\gramps\grampsdb

Gramps 5.1 (and earlier) looks for a default database path of:
C:Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\gramps\grampsdb

Check both those folders using Windows browsing. You’re looking for the path that contains at least 1 folder named with an 8 digit hexadecimal name.

These paths tended to be ‘hidden’. So you might not be able to ‘browse’ to the folder. Instead you’ll have to type (or paste) the path… with your Windows username instead of the “<username>” placeholder.

Good deal. That is a shortcut for creating a blank, properly named tree and importing the backup file.

Be very certain that the backup was fresh enough to include the last data you entered.