Installed 5.2.1 and media doesn't show

Hi all. Using Windows 10 and had been using Gramps version 5.1.6, which I didn’t uninstall before installing the latest version. I allowed the conversion when prompted during install of 5.2.1 and the tree loaded ok but all media shows red X. The path to those files is Documents\Family and either the file name or another subfolder, then file name. The full path has C:\Users\Owner\ on the front. The older version had the path showing exactly the same and was showing just fine. I know for sure because I opened my back up to double check.

Now, as an experiment, I opened one of the media files from the media link on the sidebar and added C:\Users\Owner\ on the front and it appeared normally. But when I attempted to put it back the way I found it by removing C:\Users\Owner\ it threw the error “There is no media matching the current path value.” I had to cancel to back out of there. I could, however, go to the profile where the image is used, open to edit there and make the change successfully. As a side note, this was also true in the older version.

So, I don’t know if one or both problems is a bug but I at least need to know how to get media showing properly. There is nothing set in the preferences but I’d like to create a relative path like I had before I lost all my media and had to start over when my hard drive died but that is for another time, I guess. I forgot how I had it set before and all my attempts in 5.1.6 have failed.

Quick question: What is your base path for media, if any?

Nothing set in either version. As I mentioned, I want to set a relative path but was having trouble before so gave up trying.

OK, I understand. It’s in the 3rd tab of Preferences now, near the bottom:

The screenshot’s in Dutch, but I hope that you can understand it anyway. It’s shown as Mediapad here, and it this particular case, I have a tree that was restored from a backup with media, hence the odd path.

Correct, but mine is empty, no path shown in either version. Still, the media shows up correctly in the older version.

That may be, because without a media path, Gramps takes what we call GRAMPSHOME as a base. That’s what you see as the Back-up path in my screen.

No matter what it was, you should be able to set it in 5.2.1, and see if that helps.

1 Like

I understand. I set the base media path to C:\Users\Owner\ and the images now appear as they should. Thank you. It seems strange that they didn’t need that path set in the earlier version though. Thank you ennoborg.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.